The Story Of Vinnie Vincent's Double-V Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

The Story Of Vinnie Vincent's Double-V Ibanez

Thought I'd share a story about a unique Ibanez....

Being based in L.A., I have the good fortune of taking my guitars to John Carruthers.

John is quite a prestigious luthier in the industry. His résumé is quite extensive -- suffice to say he's worked on guitars for just about everyone. It's easy to see why, because he's a nice guy and he does grade-A quality work.

During my visits to his shop, I've noted he has all sorts of things framed in his office, lots of autographs from clients and pictures of guitars he's built. During one visit, I looked on is wall and saw a double-V guitar and a picture of Vinnie Vincent. I went over to the frame and took a closer look and it turned out it was a photo of Vinnie's double-V Ibanez model and a cut-out of the Dean Markley advertisement with Vinnie and the guitar that ran in guitar publications circa 1988-1989.

I asked John about it and it turns out he built this particular double-V model for Ibanez/Vinnie. (Some might recall that Vinnie had Jackson double-V models, made by Grover Jackson, and a Carvin double-V as well.)

Here is a photo I snapped with my iPhone:

The ad reads "Vinnie Vincent Guitar Hero"

The Ibanez made a very brief appearance in the Vinnie Vincent Invasion "Love Kills" video, during the "Freddy pick scrape" scene:

John said he never met Vinnie as it was a job contracted through Ibanez. It's hard to see in the first photo, but John did not put the decal on -- that was later put on by Ibanez. And this particular guitar has V inlays, which I've only seen on one other Ibanez guitar (see Steve DeMarchi/Alias thread.)

I'm a big fan of KISS and Vinnie Vincent, in particular, so I was caught off-guard by this guitar and the fact that John constructed it. I guess it shouldn't be surprising given John's clientele, but it was cool chatting with him about it. He says he thinks he might have the blueprints for the guitar, but that they'd likely be hard to find.

This particular guitar seems to be lost in the grand scheme of Ibanez's history. Not a big deal but interesting all the same... Wondering if there is any additional information out there about this Ibanez?

A recent related aside, about a month or so ago, Vinnie put up several personal items for auction, and he was asking quite a hefty price for the Ibanez (auction site has since been taken down):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Re: The Story Of Vinnie Vincent's Double-V Ibanez

Well there's your answer about where that other guitar came from. I'd say the same guy built it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Re: The Story Of Vinnie Vincent's Double-V Ibanez

Great story and thanks for sharing!!
Please visit with him some more, I'd love to hear more stories and see pictures of other builds.

A lot of the history of the 80's - 90's guitar era is being lost.
I saw Adrian Vandenberg is selling a few of his amps and Peavey from the Whitesnake era.
It would be great to see some true collector get some of the gear.

Tags
john carruthers , vinnie vincent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode