Strat Pickup? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Strat Pickup?

I gave myself an early Christmas present, American Strat in Chrome Red I never like Fender until I play my friendís Fender. My musical taste has always been in metal territory and thinking to change the bridge pickup to single coil size humbucker. Which high output pickup would you recommend for a Strat bridge position? Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Reviews: 9
Re: Strat Pickup?

The problem with Single sized Humbuckers is they sound neither like single coils - twangy and clear with lots of attack - or humbuckers - full, rich and hot.

My best suggestion is either to get a stacked single coil that a bit warmer, DiMarzio Area 61, 67 or Injector for example, or get a new pickupguard and put a proper humbucker in the bridge.

If you're going to use the humbucker with your cleans, you want something relatively low powered, however if you're just going to be changing between the HB and singles on a distortion channel, you can get away with a bigger volume difference due to the compression and characteristics of single coils.

I similarly grew up on the metal, and kinda grew out of it a couple of years ago. I can't believe I've never owned a proper strat. It's an essential! Enjoy it bud :-)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Also, where in London are you? I'm West End, lol.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post
Also, where in London are you? I'm West End, lol.
thanks mate, I am in fulham

yeah I intend to use bridge pickup for overdrive and leave two single coils for clean, so I can adjust volume in amp channels. I am also thinking Dimarzio HS-3 for bridge position. Any comment? Comparing the output, itís not very hot like Super Distortion.

One question, how do you guys manage volume if you switch between single coil and humbucker equipped guitars during live? Re-adjust all volumes?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Overdriven it shouldn't be an issue, and I actually think single coils sound better on od channels with a little less gain, if you did wanna match them up however, turn the bridge pickup tone control into a 500k volume and take off the master volume. An hs2 probably wouldn't need it though it's not that hot. I soul hoarse consider swapping the other 2 if your were gunna go to the hs2 though, it sounds quite rich and full but still quite singly, it just lack that screechy high end, volume aside it'll make your fender pickups sound weak.

Mostly because fender pickups are pretty weak lol.

I'd seriously look into an Area set, they're great pickups - definitely best of both worlds as at as singles and hums go.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM

I honestly don't get the need, OP. If you already have those metal axes, why would you not keep the strat stock just for something different? If nothing else, maybe take it further in the other direction and stick a GFS lipstick style strat pickup in the bridge or something, or something crazy like that.

I couldn't stand having all my guitars sounding the same, I really couldn't.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

^^ I agree on that and this is a very reason I bought a strat But sometime I need to play all sort of music styles in one rehearsal. Obviously don't want to carry two guitars and need some versatility
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
^^ I agree on that and this is a very reason I bought a strat But sometime I need to play all sort of music styles in one rehearsal. Obviously don't want to carry two guitars and need some versatility
But strats *are* versatile...You can, technically, play metal using a strat bridge pickup.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 2

what about the injector? it's a nice hot single-sounding pickup. Sounds mean on Fuzz Universe.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM

The only bridge humbucker I ever really loved in a Strat was a Duncan HotRails. That was quite a few years ago though
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 10

I would highly recommend the Seymour Duncan JB jr. I have this pickup in the bridge in both of my strats and I love it! The singer in the band I play in has a hot rails in the bridge on his strat but I think the JB jr is better balanced and cuts through the mix better.

I submitted a review on this pickup here:

http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...BJ-1-/reviews/

I adjusted the height a bit and volume between the JB jr and the single coils hasn't been an issue for me (I have Dimarzio virtual vintage Blues pickups in the middle and neck - also great pickups with reviews on this site )
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 12

I'm hearing alot of good things about the Injector... sounds awesome in Paul Gilbert's arsenal.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Reviews: 120

I'd be dropping a Tone Zone S in that bad boy.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Reviews: 15

I went through a phase where I was looking for a replacement for my existing pickups. I had a Duncan HotRail in the bridge with 2 stock pickups, but I was looking for a new sound. I bought a ton of Dimarzio pickups. I tried Fast Track 1, Fast Track 2, Pro Track, and Cruiser. Nothing sounded as good as the HotRail. So, now the hotrail is back in the bridge position.

There are people that frown upon the humbucker in a single coil, or a humbucker in a strat, but the hotrail is amazing. I also put in a push/pull pot to split the coil. I can go into a single coil at any time, and kick it back into a humbucker by pushing the pot back in. Nothing is more versatile than that.

Hey, if you want any of the others.....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Reviews: 3

If you like how the strat plays but not sounds, don't mess around with single coils. Just get it routed for humbuckers, at least in the bridge. Little extra work, but you'll get the results you want.

Tags
fender american

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode