Strat Pups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Smile Strat Pups

Seeking advice from the strat cats here
Since I got my Highway 1, I've been looking for some pickups that have a little more...character to them than the stock ones that are in there. I'm looking for a set that's versatile, as I'll be using this for blues, rock and when I want some disinfectant-sterile cleans. I really like the tone SRV that people are able to get with the Texas Specials, but word has it the Lace Golds are very versatile and go almost anywhere.

I've pretty much narrowed the list to:
CS 69's
CS Texas Specials
Lace Holy Grails
Lace Golds

I know this really isn't the ideal forum to ask this in, but there's lots of people here. Plus, I don't want to bother Ayrton too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Re: Strat Pups

Go for the CS 69's if you want a nice classic strat tone. The Texas Specials sound very different and very hot to my ears anyway. They kind of "sizzle" they are so bright and hot. I don't care for Lace pickups but a lot of people like them so I guess you have to try them and see. For my Strat it would be the CS69's all the way.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 09:08 PM

You are never bothering me!

My first choice is the CS 69's
Custom Shop 54's for that real vintage tone

I have the original Lace Golds in my 88 and while not my favorites, I don't dislike them enough to swap them.

Finally I have the CS 68's that came in the Hendrix tribute strat in my jimistrat.

If I could only choose one, it would be the CS 69's.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 AM

I would take the Texas Specials because I love how they sound with SRV .

Regards

André

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Texas Specials for SRV! But have you considered Kinman Woodstocks?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Stevie never actually used Texas Specials, and they do not sound like "classic" SRV.

Kinman Woodstocks are great pups (as is all Kinmans), but are a bit pricey. I try to hit the target with Fender pups before stepping up to Kinman, Fralin prices.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 PM

My vote is for the CS 69's. I have them in my '60 Relic and they are simply awesome.

You might also consider a single coil sized 'bucker in the bridge if you want to have the ability to go heavier for certain songs. Might make the guitar more versatile. I like the Dimarzio Fast Track 2. Warm sounding with plenty of output. I have one in my Deluxe Strat, and it sounds amazing.

When I'm playing blues or clean on my Deluxe Strat it's always on the middle or neck pup anyways. I only invoke the bridge when I need a smoother (squeal-free) rock crunch or singing "shred" lead tone.

Ryan
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM

I hear so many good things about these CS69's I think I may get a set and give them a shot myself.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM

No thread hi-jacking intended, but does anyone know what the pickups where that were put in the fotoflame stratocasters?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Stevie never actually used Texas Specials, and they do not sound like "classic" SRV
I agree that the Texas specials I tried don't really sound like SRV.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Kinnmans and Fralins are quite pricey, I figured I'll try some more average priced aftermarkets before I consider making that jump.

Everyone seems to love the CS69's so much...but I can't find them anywhere to try them out (as with most aftermarket pups).

Just a little surprised no one had anything to say about the Holy Grails I did always want a lace-equipped guitar...maybe I have an excuse to get another strat now...

Last edited by ChopTart; 12-04-2006 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Can't spell.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart View Post

Everyone seems to love the CS69's so much...but I can't find them anywhere to try them out (as with most aftermarket pups).
Go into well stocked Fender dealer and play a 69' NOS, 69 'Closet Classic, or 69' Relic. All three come with Custom Shop 69's stock. However, please don't blame me if you buy another guitar after playing one of those sweet ass CS models.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 AM

http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx

The V60's on this page are pretty tasty. The 54's are no slouches either. I expected - meh - but was pleasantly shocked when I heard them in a chambered Suhr strat a rep brought into the store a while back.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 18

I've got Gold Lace Sensors on my Strat Plus and they sound pretty good.

That's Joe's sig. on the headstock.

Jimmy
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack2 View Post
http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx

The V60's on this page are pretty tasty. The 54's are no slouches either. I expected - meh - but was pleasantly shocked when I heard them in a chambered Suhr strat a rep brought into the store a while back.
I heard many say that these are their favourite aftermarket strat pickups...

Tags
classic strat , custom shop , deluxe strat , equipped guitar , fender custom shop , gold lace sensors , jeff beck , lace sensor , lace sensors , neck pup , strat pickups , strat plus , strat tone , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode