Strat recommendations for ibanez players - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Strat recommendations for ibanez players

I've played only high end ibanez (and my lawsuit era ibanez Les Paul) for years now. Since i sold my MIJ Tele nearly 10 years Ago.

Recently I've been really enjoying the necks on my JS guitars (I have a 1000 and a 1600).

But having played my friends Mex strat all day whilst jamming at their house today I've got GAS for a good strat. It does give you some tones that the split coil JS or middle coil Jem don't quite nail.

I think a maple necked strat might be worth it if I can find a nice one with a similar neck radius/thickness to the JS.

Anyone got any recommendations as the number of strat options are so huge it's bewildering. Or better to try suhr or an AZ? There's something about that bell like ring you get with real single coils..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 AM

Re: Strat recommendations for ibanez players

I'd say go to a music store and play them all, like you would for anything else. I haven't played the Suhr Strats but I had 2 Andersons and while a lot more money than a Fender I didn't like them as much. Actually, the newer Fender Strats (after say..'12? ) are great guitars. They even have Strats with sustainers now
nienturi likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:49 AM

I've played the new American Ultra and American Professional series. They are both great playing guitars. The new Ultra body carves are similar to the original Jem777 (without the grip of course).
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 AM

Try an AZ2204, I know I want one.
nienturi likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 12:17 PM

I've heard a lot of really good things about the new player and ultra series guitars. The players are a great value.

If you don't mind it NOT being fender, you could always try to find a Ibanez 540 R. It Feels a lot like my JS, the body is almost the same. It's a bit heavier but It has a HSS configuration, The necks were the Ibanez Ultra which was not a 17" radius like the RG's or 540S and it's a bit chunkier. it feels a lot more like a fender. I have a 540R but I only got my hands on a body. I had a neck built for it. But it's a work horse with tones if you don't mind putting your own pickups in. I see them going for $600-1K on reverb or ebay fairly often. I have the bridge on mine coil tapped to get as close to the strat #2 position. Plus it's a vintage non common body shape. Not many people have them. I love the strat but it's the glock of guitars. Everyone and their grandfather has one.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhar View Post
Try an AZ2204, I know I want one.
me too. And the Andy Timmons sig version looks great. But boy are they pricey...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I think play a few to find the right one..
I really want maple neck, not to chunky..

Good thing about strats is they're also easy to customise with spare parts.

Will probably sell a PGM or a JS before going to Japan in the spring to generate some cash to check out the 2nd hand stores for any MIJ bargains...

The ultra series sounds like a good fall back option. Will try to play test one before my trip.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
me too. And the Andy Timmons sig version looks great. But boy are they pricey...
I'm waiting for the 2020 lineup colors & fnishes before ordering a 2204. Been wanting one since they were released.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:44 PM

I went with an Eric Johnson model as not only do I like his music but I really like the flat 12" radius fretboard over the more common Strat options.

It seems well made and sounds nice too.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Oh that sounds awesome. It's a strat with a normal strat scale but with a les paul radius. I'll have to look for one of those.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww View Post
I went with an Eric Johnson model as not only do I like his music but I really like the flat 12" radius fretboard over the more common Strat options.

I had thought this too. Spec looks interesting. But never seen one in a shop to try. Maple board too usually.

Did you get the semi hollow body version?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
I had thought this too. Spec looks interesting. But never seen one in a shop to try. Maple board too usually.

Did you get the semi hollow body version?
Yes - I liked the idea of that too after I watched some videos demoing it.

I do like it and in fact I'm now tempted to pickup one of the EJ models with a bound rosewood fretboard and a solid body as well in the future if one comes along cheap enough....
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I'd say go to a music store and play them all, like you would for anything else. I haven't played the Suhr Strats but I had 2 Andersons and while a lot more money than a Fender I didn't like them as much. Actually, the newer Fender Strats (after say..'12? ) are great guitars. They even have Strats with sustainers now
That's the ultimate way to find a Strat you like &desire. There are unlimited amount of Strats everywhere from <$60 to >10K$. Virtually all of them has same or very similar specs; 3 single coil pickups, 5w switch, alder or ash body, 1p maple neck or rosewood fingerboard on maple neck, 6 screwed tremolo... But result, on the other hand, varies very dramaticly.

My personal approach on the Strats are just like this;
-) 1 piece maple neck/quartersawn preferred and as chunky as you can play smooth, thickness is crucial for tone
-) rosewood board (or cocobolo or pao ferro is also preferred)
-) lightweight alder body (as light as possible)
-) Well made tremolo (steel, titanium, aluminium is okay but never go for Zinc alloy material. If the essential tone is too bright brass might be good
-) True single coil pickups; ~5,5K dc resistance for the neck, ~6K for the middle and >6,5K for the bridge. I especially like to use a real tele bridge pickup on the strat bridge. Simple yet useful mod.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nienturi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
That's the ultimate way to find a Strat you like &desire. There are unlimited amount of Strats everywhere from <$60 to >10K$. Virtually all of them has same or very similar specs; 3 single coil pickups, 5w switch, alder or ash body, 1p maple neck or rosewood fingerboard on maple neck, 6 screwed tremolo... But result, on the other hand, varies very dramaticly.

My personal approach on the Strats are just like this;
-) 1 piece maple neck/quartersawn preferred and as chunky as you can play smooth, thickness is crucial for tone
-) rosewood board (or cocobolo or pao ferro is also preferred)
-) lightweight alder body (as light as possible)
-) Well made tremolo (steel, titanium, aluminium is okay but never go for Zinc alloy material. If the essential tone is too bright brass might be good
-) True single coil pickups; ~5,5K dc resistance for the neck, ~6K for the middle and >6,5K for the bridge. I especially like to use a real tele bridge pickup on the strat bridge. Simple yet useful mod.
Tele bridge pick up?
When I get to play a strat i always seem to end up camped in neck and neck/mid position and never found bridge that usable. This is an interesting idea...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww View Post

That one is the shredders’ strat; I’m sure the 1996 G3 Tour was a complot to expose Eric music to Ibanez fans in order to make him a sig and sell it later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode