Stratocaster String Changing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Stratocaster String Changing

I changed my stratocaster's strings, 3rd to 6th string one at a time, but my strings keep getting out of tune, especially my 5th and 6th string and 3rd string. I kept tuning it. then i play with it more and it gets out of tune again. If i bend and use whammy bar, it gets out of tune even more. Does this have something to do with the issue of not giving the strings enough time to adjust its length?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 AM

Re: Stratocaster String Changing

First of all, why would you just change strings 3-6??

New strings are going to stretch some but shouldn't do so drastically. Of course with a tremolo without a locking nut there are other factors like whether the strings you used are the same gauges as the ones you replaced and how secure the strings are on the tuning posts, etc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 AM

When I change strings, I make sure that I have stretched them fully several times - tune up stretch - tune up again stretch again - etc. I do this as many times as necessary to get stable tuning.

Apparently Hendrix used to have awful tuning after songs in which he'd used his whammy bar.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM

Well, there could be other problems. After changing strings on my strat I stretch them for a bit, tune a couple of times and it pretty much stays in tune. Stretch them out a bit more, tune them again and see how it holds up...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 AM

using the whammy on a strat is almost a guarentee to be out of tune.. its not like a floyd where it rests back in its original position, you dont have locking nuts, and even locking tuners wont completely solve it.

Its a downside to owning a strat, if you use it you have to really bank on the fact its not going to be in tune when your done..

Not the answer your looking for im sure but its the truth and sometimes the thruth hurts
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 AM

Many people have strat setups that stay in tune with heavy trem work. Not quite as good as a floyd but damn close. My strat has a vintage style trem, graphtec nut and string tree (one string tree) stock tuners, and I have to get prety crazy with the trem arm to get it out of tune.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 PM

Yeah, my strat might go out of tune after a couple of hours of heavy playing, but not after a song, most definately...Still a string never gets half a step flatter in mine...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGuitarist112
I changed my stratocaster's strings, 3rd to 6th string one at a time, but my strings keep getting out of tune, especially my 5th and 6th string and 3rd string. I kept tuning it. then i play with it more and it gets out of tune again. If i bend and use whammy bar, it gets out of tune even more. Does this have something to do with the issue of not giving the strings enough time to adjust its length?
What sort of Strat - as mentioned here a few times, Graphtec nut and string trees, along with locking tuners will certainly help a great deal with a vintage style bridge - BTW, the correct way to set the six screws that hold the bridge to the body is to screw them down one at a time until the bridge starts lifting, then back them off just until the bridge sits flat on the face of the guitar (do this without strings or springs installed) - this is correct whether you want the bridge to ultimately sit flat on the face of the guitar or float - if they are set up any other way you may have tuning issues from this alone - ALSO - have a look around the bridge and springs - if the scratchplate touches the bridge, the bridge scrapes on wood, or if the springs hit the body or even the earthwire you may have tuning issues from this alone.

Good luck,

David
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Reviews: 1

Other thing that could cause problems is binding at the nut.
Use a small amount of graphite where the strings rest on the nut.
If you're changing strings, it typically is best if you change the whole set, you'll have a mismatch in sounds when playing single note runs from one string to the next if you have half old and half new strings on your guitar.

Bamm
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 04:17 PM

Also, the fewer wraps around the posts the better on a strat. Locking tuners may help a bit here, as has been mentioned.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM

NON-locking trems can be a nightmare to keep in tune under whammy use. Good suggestions so far. What I ended up doing was buying a used RG770 and blocking up my regulare strats trem. Worked for me!

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , locking tuners , string tree , string trees , trem arm , vintage style trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode