Strats :D - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Strats :D

okay ive decided im officially saving for a really nice HSS strat (on a student budget :P ) can anyone tell me what the differences between a Fender American series and American Deluxe series strat are? I'm not really interested in the aesthetic differences, just how they differ in tone and playability

tx ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Re: Strats :D

Different pickups, the Deluxes have the S1 Switching, they have a more contoured neck heel, different bridges, locking tuners, strap locks come stock, necks feel different. That's just off the top of my head, there may be a few more differences. Personally Id take a Deluxe over a US Standard anyday.

Last edited by elcid; 08-26-2007 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks elcid sounds like a way better instrument... do you have any experience with the HSS deluxe model? i'd like to know how the sound compares with a normal deluxe strat
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:23 PM

No, I never was into Strats with HB. I'd bet its the same guitar as a Deluxe SSS, since most Strats are routed for HSH anyway.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 04:39 PM

I've got an HH American Deluxe - I love it. It has a great feeling neck - thicker than a Wizard, but everything is.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 PM

Go for the American Deluxe. Well worth it. I LOVE my Strat. It's my favorite and best playing guitar.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Go for the American Deluxe. Well worth it. I LOVE my Strat. It's my favorite and best playing guitar.

Yeah, they are so addictive - after going around the block with PRS, Ibanez, Parkers, even Teles, I always return to some form of SSS strat - the only issue I have is that I find even the American Standard/Deluxe fretwire too small, so almost all of my guitars end up with Dunlop 6100 fretwire, which really does the trick.

The other comment I'd make is that getting a HSS Strat leaves you without some pretty classic Strat sounds if you already have a guitar with a humbucking bridge pickup, so I'd look into the traditional SSS Strats as well - you could always drop in a Strat sized humbucker later if the single coil doesn't spin your wheels.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Reviews: 18

+1 on the triple single coils. Single coils is what makes a Strat a classic guitar.

Jimmy
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:39 PM

The American Deluxe HSS also has the LSR Roller nut. The regular American Deluxe and Standard don't.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:54 AM

Well worth looking at the Thin Skin models and, ummm, Hot Rod Vintage too - interesting range of options on those models, but I have a feeling they are a bit more expensive........
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Eric Johnson Strat > Every other production strat

Play one, its much better than the standard and deluxe models
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Suhr Pro Series
http://www.suhrguitars.com/guitarsProSeries.aspx
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

mmm good point about the sss, i guess my ibanez will keep me happy in the hb department
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

just on a side note, ive been reading a lot of the reviews of the HSS American Deluxe, it seems that the humbucker is considered a bit weak and muddy. Any suggestions of a Seymour Duncan (I can't get hold of DiMarzios) bridge HB that would replcae it nicely?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM

My double fat strat has a SD pearly gates plus in the bridge position and i love it - it's very fat and chunky sounding.

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , bridge position , candy apple red , classic strat , deluxe strat , double fat strat , ebony fretboard , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fat strat , locking tuners , maple neck , neck position , playing guitar , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , strap lock , strap locks , strat plus , strat plus deluxe , strat sound , strat tone , suhr pro series , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode