Strats with a floyd - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Strats with a floyd

Just wondering if anyone has one. Say the richie sambora model or even just a standard one or a squire! About ready to pay for one on the bay. Any thoughts on how the floyd is on them or what the necks are like etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Re: Strats with a floyd

i dont like strats because they are 24 3/4 and their frets are tiny. it depends on the model as to what floyd is on it. anything but an original floyd rose isn't going to be that great.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM

They are 25.5 ..... 24.75 on some models
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM

You should of brought a charvel
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 2

A strat with floyd doesn´t feel like a strat, thats just my opinion
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 PM

I love Strats with Floyds.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
You should of brought a charvel
been looking at some charvels alright :/ there was a model 2 going for 350euro on a board im usually on the other day. Are they fast? I guess at the end of the day im still addicted to what i felt when i had my jem(neck got broken and had to sell her at a huge loss) and i need to replace it! what am i gonna do...should i just not pay this guy? maybe i was a bit hasty! I hated my first strat,made me play slow and ****,i thought it might work out better with a floyd but the action might still be sack...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 AM
DJR

Another Strats with Floyds fan right here too!

Here's my two main workhorses:

Basically, if you're coming from a Jem-playing background, you'll be more comfortable with a flat radius fretboard with jumbo frets. That's where the feel of a fast-playing neck is at and a lower/smoother action that doesn't choke when bending is easier to achieve when combining a Floyd with a flat radius. Maybe focus on that when considering your strat. The thickness or the shape of the back of neck is really down to your own preference.

If you're on a budget, the cheaper Sambora strats are pretty nice, although the Mexican ones can be a bit hit and miss, so definitely road test them first.... Some of the hot-rodded Squiers can be ok too. They did one with a H/S/H configuration and a reverse headstock, and I recall that one playing really nice once tweaked. There's tons of variations on the "super-strat" style out there, and you could probably pickup a really nice one for not too much money, and if it's got a Floyd, it will more often than not have a flatter board. You could probably piece one together yourself for a reasonable chunk of change too. Old Square-heel Ibanez necks are great for such projects!

Goodluck to ya.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjus View Post
Same Here.

If I really want to go nuts with a trem, I REALLY like the trem system on the Jeff Beck signature strat: sperzel locking tuners, an LSR roller nut, and the american standard 2-point bridge. That system stays in tune REALLY well.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Reviews: 1

Here's my '04. Cream white/rosewood with factory Floyd. Great guitar....
~j

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Here are some pictures of mine. I ended up blocking the trem because I didn't get along with it, but its a nice guitar. Just wish it had a fixed bridge or vintage trem.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 PM

That is one good looking guitar.(for a fender)just kidding.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM

im not a trem guy, but i think that would look better with an edge trem on there. the floyd looks kinda big and gangly on there. but again, im a hardtail guy so i really have no room to comment. ha ha. nice guitar though jemaholic. ive always been a sucker for white with rosewood. nice
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanjus View Post
nope, sure doesn't imo....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM

I love Strats with Floyds, but you DO have to be careful, even with the factory ones. Due to the pickup cavity routes, and the location of the trem studs, sometimes you suffer blowouts. Take a look at the natural flame Strat with the clear pickguard, above, and you'll see what I mean, especially on the unwound string side. Not a lot of meat, there.
My last build was a Strat with a Floyd, and I actually built a metal plate to re-enforce the inner routing wall, with splayed mounting anchor screws, as well as using the trem stud inserts with the plate that connects the two. Made the whole thing rock solid.

Tags
fender floyd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode