String gauge for 25.5 scale seven string? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 59
String gauge for 25.5 scale seven string?

I'm waiting for my first seven to be delivered and I'm trying to figure out what seasoned seven string users are recommending for string gauge.
The guitar has 25.5 scale and a Floyd Rose locking system.

I have a few packs of .009-.054's from d'Addario as I prefer .009's on my six strings with the same scale, as my higher string bending is just so much more pain free over time compared to 10's.

Ideally I'd get a custom set of light tops/heavy bottoms, but that is impossible to find here in Europe.

Is there any great pros and cons on going up to .010's compared to staying with .009's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 AM

Re: String gauge for 25.5 scale seven string?

Pros in going to 10's = better tone, better tuning stability, better playability, longer string life, more responsive feel.

Cons= none
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Smile Re: String gauge for 25.5 scale seven string?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Pros in going to 10's = better tone, better tuning stability, better playability, longer string life, more responsive feel.

Cons= none
+1 and more responsive to faster picking

When I pick fast on 9s they take longer to get back to center, so I can't play as fast on speed runs.

Bending is the only hardship of 10s, just push or pull with more than one finger behind your bend.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp29 View Post
I'm waiting for my first seven to be delivered and I'm trying to figure out what seasoned seven string users are recommending for string gauge.
The guitar has 25.5 scale and a Floyd Rose locking system.

I have a few packs of .009-.054's from d'Addario as I prefer .009's on my six strings with the same scale, as my higher string bending is just so much more pain free over time compared to 10's.

Ideally I'd get a custom set of light tops/heavy bottoms, but that is impossible to find here in Europe.

Is there any great pros and cons on going up to .010's compared to staying with .009's?
Impossible to find in Europe are you kidding?! Just order them online there must be loads of stores that stock say Dean Markley 9-54 or similar

Eg. http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/searc...%40weight+DESC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM

I bend 13's all day long, I can't even stand to tinker on a guitar with 10's. If you can't bend a ten clear off the fretboard, then you need to practice more and exercise those muscles!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
Impossible to find in Europe are you kidding?! Just order them online there must be loads of stores that stock say Dean Markley 9-54 or similar

Eg. http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/searc...%40weight+DESC
.009-.054 isn't excactly top heavy...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Sebastian, musikron; thanks for the tips.
Yeah I guess I should muscle up the fingers. And practice my bending technique...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Vendor

Somebody should tell Joe and Steve they need to practice more and develop more muscles so they can play a heavier gauge

Gauge is all about personal preference, not what anybody else out there says about it. If you prefer the feel of 9's, and I'm definitely in that group, then you should stick with 9's. I do like the little extra tonality from 10's but I hate the feel, and I'll take feel as the preference in that case. If you want to try 10's and you can get comfortable with the feel is up to you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 11

Standard tuning - .10-.46 with a low .62 or .64 for the B
Drop A - .10-.46 with a low .70 or .72 for the A

Pretty much every 7 string set ever put together is wrong.

EX: A .46 in E get's oh, I don't know, let's say 19 pounds of pressure. We'', using a .56 for your B, will only get you about 13 or 14 pounds of pressure. Which is not enough tension. That's loose to the point of going out of tune every time you touch it.

Pro's for 10's: The first 6 are rightish.
Con's: Low B is far too loose. Same with .11's.

Balanced string tension is a wonderful thing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Somebody should tell Joe and Steve they need to practice more and develop more muscles so they can play a heavier gauge

Gauge is all about personal preference, not what anybody else out there says about it. If you prefer the feel of 9's, and I'm definitely in that group, then you should stick with 9's. I do like the little extra tonality from 10's but I hate the feel, and I'll take feel as the preference in that case. If you want to try 10's and you can get comfortable with the feel is up to you.
Ever given the Kurt Mengens (I think that's what they're called) a try? My dad swears by them. They play like .09's but sound like .10's. Really awesome strings!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I'm in the camp that say you can always make your fingers stronger, but you can't make thin strings sound fatter.

I'd take the approach of "If you get the tone you like from a specific guage, then you should muscle up and get used to the thicker guage. Your arms can handle it, and so can your fingertips, its just a matter of spending a while until your finger strength catches up to the guage, just like when you started playing".

On the other hand, sometimes you need a thinner guage for a thinner sound. I don't think 9's will ever sound properly like Stevie Ray Vaughan for example, but I'm just as sure that 13's will never sound like Dimebag.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Vendor

It has nothing to do with strength. It's the way they feel, how much tension you have to fight. Even when I had monster pads on my tips I didn't like the feel of 10's, not that I don't overbend sometimes as a result. And now that I may play 15-30 minutes a day I have almost no pads and heavier gauges are just plain uncomfortable to play. I have to do the setups I'm asked to and if it's 13's at pitch I know I'm in for a rough testing round. But I have to say I love 12's in C standard!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with strength. It's the way they feel, how much tension you have to fight. Even when I had monster pads on my tips I didn't like the feel of 10's, not that I don't overbend sometimes as a result. And now that I may play 15-30 minutes a day I have almost no pads and heavier gauges are just plain uncomfortable to play. I have to do the setups I'm asked to and if it's 13's at pitch I know I'm in for a rough testing round. But I have to say I love 12's in C standard!
*shrug*

In my experience, whenever I've moved up a guage, after increasing my finger strength, they've felt like standard guage. Its only immediately after moving up or down that I notice a real difference in feel. Excepting that thicker guages can be set with lower action, but thats not so significant overall.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Standard tuning - .10-.46 with a low .62 or .64 for the B
Drop A - .10-.46 with a low .70 or .72 for the A

Pretty much every 7 string set ever put together is wrong.

EX: A .46 in E get's oh, I don't know, let's say 19 pounds of pressure. We'', using a .56 for your B, will only get you about 13 or 14 pounds of pressure. Which is not enough tension. That's loose to the point of going out of tune every time you touch it.

Pro's for 10's: The first 6 are rightish.
Con's: Low B is far too loose. Same with .11's.

Balanced string tension is a wonderful thing.
I thought the above correct (in my experience) for a while. I am a nut for intonation and getting the most and best tuning out of every chord possible while having a clean and articulate sound (I use heavy, high Gain sounds, tech metal prog rock). I used 10-46 and 62 on my 7620 for over a year and though it sounded fine everywhere but the low B was off, stiff, harder to play in tune on any chords with a low B.

So I decided to go against what I was told and what I learned about string tension and I slapped a 56 on the low B. Its now in Tune, sounds great and articulate. Chords sound nice and there is no slop at all.

Every guitar "lives" in a different place when it comes to a setup (strings, intonation methods, neck relief, etc...). My 7620 lives with Daddario (I HATED Dadarrios for years and still wont put them on my others) 10-56....everyting else just doesnt sound right on it.

Experiment, test, listen and feel....find out where yours lives.....Dont settle. You will be amazed at what you may find

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode