String Height, Neck Angle, Pick Guard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

String Height, Neck Angle, Pick Guard

I have a number of RGs; only one of which (RG3250MZ) has a pick guard.

It feels that the strings are a bit low over the pick guard, making picking awkward.

It seems that the neck doesn't angle back as much as on the other RGs [looks not to, but not clear; bridge is as low as it goes, to set the action correctly].

So, I'm thinking the neck needs shimming; and I did some measuring.

On one of the other RGs, the strings are about 12.3mm above the wooden body.

On the RG3250MZ they are 10.6 mm above the wooden body, and about 8mm above the pick guard.

So, it looks like the neck isn't angled back as much, but here's the awkward bit..:

Even if it were shimmed to the same angle as the other RG, the height of the strings above the pick guard would still be about 2.5mm less than the height of the strings above the wooden body on either guitar.

The question, is whether this is something you just have to live with; or whether the pick guard guitars are set up to compensate in some way. eg with the neck angled to give more clearance, or such ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Re: String Height, Neck Angle, Pick Guard

It's just the way it is with a pickguarded RG, you're going to have less clearance. I'm pretty sure Ibanez doesn't machine neck pockets/necks differently for guard/non-guard guitars. A shim is your best bet IMO (especially if your bridge is bottomed out) for getting more room to dig.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 AM

Hi I want to make the pickups of my SG Standard follow the angle of the strings. I have googled this quite a bit and this is what I have found out, please correct me if it's wrong. I need to buy two neck pickup bezels (because the bridge PU bezel is too tall), enlarge the holes in the pickguard slightly to make room for the change of angle.....or I could just out a little shim under the pickups but I would rather do the first thing. Does anybody have an exact link where I can get the bezels, I don't really know where to look. It could be in the US but since I live in Denmark a EU dealer would be very cool. It' not a big deal though. Subway Surfers Psiphon Hill Climb Racing

Last edited by Zim Ali; 08-03-2018 at 04:51 PM.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Ali View Post
Hi I want to make the pickups of my SG Standard follow the angle of the strings. I have googled this quite a bit and this is what I have found out, please correct me if it's wrong. I need to buy two neck pickup bezels (because the bridge PU bezel is too tall), enlarge the holes in the pickguard slightly to make room for the change of angle.....or I could just out a little shim under the pickups but I would rather do the first thing. Does anybody have an exact link where I can get the bezels, I don't really know where to look. It could be in the US but since I live in Denmark a EU dealer would be very cool. It' not a big deal though.
Please start your own topic somewhere appropriate.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:25 AM

You can make the neck angle larger to compensate for the thickness of the pickguard.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
It's just the way it is with a pickguarded RG, you're going to have less clearance. I'm pretty sure Ibanez doesn't machine neck pockets/necks differently for guard/non-guard guitars. A shim is your best bet IMO (especially if your bridge is bottomed out) for getting more room to dig.
Yeah, I think the bottomed out bridge definitely says shimming is required..!

What I'm wondering about, is whether to try and increase the clearance over the pickguard to what I've got on the non-pickguard RGs, by increasing the neck angle.

I wonder if any pickguard RGs come like this as stock - ie with an increased neck angle to compensate, or even the neck raised.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You can make the neck angle larger to compensate for the thickness of the pickguard.
Cheers - yes.

Is this something that people do ?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallybert View Post
Cheers - yes.

Is this something that people do ?
Not on an SG Standard it isn't!

Works great with bolt-on necks though.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Not on an SG Standard it isn't!

Works great with bolt-on necks though.
Oi..!

I know people shim them. It's whether they do extra to deal with the pickguard thickness, I was wondering about.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Oi..!

I know people shim them. It's whether they do extra to deal with the pickguard thickness, I was wondering about.
That's your choice, setups are personal things, if you want more space between the pickguard and the strings then you'll need to shim the neck and raise the trem up out of the rout.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
That's your choice, setups are personal things, if you want more space between the pickguard and the strings then you'll need to shim the neck and raise the trem up out of the rout.
Yeah, but do people do this ?

Or do they tolerate a relatively small gap between the strings and pickguard ?

I'm very prone to doing my own thing, but sometimes it's good to know what the conventional thinking is.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

IMHO the bridge height is a player's call so yeah you shim the bridge on an axe like this to get it at the height you want. I don't think the pickguard is the issue as much as the bridge itself is lower than your other axe by almost 2mm and also has the guard
scallybert likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Slightly different tack, if anyone has a pickguard RG, how high are your strings above the pickguard, near to the bridge ?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
The question, is whether this is something you just have to live with; or whether the pick guard guitars are set up to compensate in some way. eg with the neck angled to give more clearance, or such ?
Counting my JEM-FP, I've got three RG's and I don't even notice which ones have a pickguard or not unless I'm swapping pickups. I would think that over time you'd probably get to where you didn't notice either.
Definitely seems to have a fatter tone with the pickups screwed straight into the body of the guitar though.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
Counting my JEM-FP, I've got three RG's and I don't even notice which ones have a pickguard or not unless I'm swapping pickups. I would think that over time you'd probably get to where you didn't notice either.
Any chance of having a quick look at how the string heights compare ?

Quote:
Definitely seems to have a fatter tone with the pickups screwed straight into the body of the guitar though.
Yes, the non-pickguard arrangement seems generally better - and the models correspondingly more expensive...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode