String spacing of Edge/Lo-Pro vs Edge Pro - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

String spacing of Edge/Lo-Pro vs Edge Pro

Are there any differences in string spacing between the original Edge and Lo-Pro versus the Edge Pro? Because as we all know, ever since the change to the Edge Pro, the wizard profile changed as well. the thing now is, the Wizard is now 2mm wider on the last fret, which technically means that the string spacing on the Edge Pro should be slightly wider to accommodate that as well. The JS and JEM however, still have the same 56mm width at the last fret. I know the JS's Edge Pro has a smaller radius, but the JEM doesn't. Does that mean that the Edge Pro for the JS, JEM and Wizard are different models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 AM

Re: String spacing of Edge/Lo-Pro vs Edge Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalZone View Post
...the Wizard is now 2mm wider on the last fret...
is it? i think no, it should be the same as always, 43mm at the nut and 58mm at the last fret. anyway, probably the Edge-Pro's got slightly wider spacing but barely noticeable, and AFAIK it has nothing to do with the neck width at the last fret.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

The original wizard was 56mm on the last fret. 1st fret thickness was 17mm and 12th fret is 20mm. they upped the 1st fret thickness to 18mm and the last fret width to 58mm.
If they are to maintain the same distribution of the space between the string and the edge of the fret, technically then bridge string spacing would then have to be wider. This would mean that if you were to put an Edge Pro on a guitar fitted with an original wizard, the 1st and 6th strings would be a tad near to the edge of the frets/fretboard.

Somebody should try measuring. My '06 wizard measures at 58mm on the last fret. (centre of string to centre of string) measurement from 1st and 6th string on the Edge Pro (on the metal inserts) is 54mm. I'm beginning to think the difference may not be as small as I thought, as a 2mm extra width might probably mean that the strings on the last fret are now actually 1mm wider on each side. 1mm is a pretty huge difference on a fretboard as far as i know and could significantly alter the feel.

I'm curious to this because then, if anyone who prefers the slightly narrower original wizard would have to stick back to the Lo-Pro and original Edge, whereas those who are fine with the new wizard profile may suit the Edge Pro better. But then again, the JEM and JS neck still has the same profile, which leads to another question, is the string spacing on the JEM and JS's Edge Pro the same as the one on the new wizard?

Last edited by MetalZone; 10-23-2006 at 07:46 AM.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 AM

Why did they make them WIDER? That is just obnoxious.

Don't fix something if it's not broken Ibanez.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Why did they make them WIDER? That is just obnoxious.

Don't fix something if it's not broken Ibanez.
exactly. they should have just stuck to the same formula that defined the name of Ibanez necks for over two decades. sure, adding the volute and not screwing the locking nuts from the back is a great improvement, but why did they change the profile is something we all wonder.
i measured my GRX70 and that confirms my feeling that I always thought my wizard prestige neck felt slightly wider. the distance between the 1st and 6th string is approx 1mm wider on the 22nd fret, and the neck itself is really 2mm wider. may sound little on paper, but i'm sure it bothers some of you cause you can actually feel the difference, just as you can feel the difference between two same necks even though they are supposed to be the same.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM

Would the extra mm at the 1st be from the hilt?
Ive always had a problem with W2s tapering more because of the 42.5mm nut so the new wizard must taper really badly.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:28 AM
GAZ

Hmmm, well, I have an RG8270 and RG8570 both with the edge pro. The 8570 is 56mm and the 8270 is 58mm. The difference at the 1st fret is only 1mm yet they feel completely different (ignoring the thickness) and you'd swear the string spacing was different but it isn't !!!!!?????
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 AM

well its only the neck that is tapering more, not the strings, i dont think they could make the string spacing bigger because my F spaced pickups allready are only just long enuf for the trem.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The original wizard was 56mm on the last fret. 1st fret thickness was 17mm...
i think the original Wizard is 57mm at the last fret, that's what my Wizard necks measure, and they're almost never actually 17mm thickness at the firts fret, rather 17.5/17.8. so i think 1mm wider at the 24th fret isn'g going to be felt that much as it would at the nut.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 PM

The 'last fret' is actually the 22nd fret in the measurement tables to accomadate for 22 fret guitars as well.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
The 'last fret' is actually the 22nd fret...
then say "22nd fret".
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The original wizard was 56mm on the last fret
The old wizrad is 56 at the 22nd not last.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
The old wizrad is 56 at the 22nd not last.
ok correct me on that. my wizard prestige now measures at somewhere about 57.6mm on the 22nd. my GRX70 measures at 56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
i think the original Wizard is 57mm at the last fret, that's what my Wizard necks measure, and they're almost never actually 17mm thickness at the firts fret, rather 17.5/17.8. so i think 1mm wider at the 24th fret isn'g going to be felt that much as it would at the nut.
You mean they actually changed the width at the nut as well?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You mean they actually changed the width at the nut as well?
nope. i just said my original Wizard measure 57mm at the LAST fret (24th). while the nut is 43mm as it's supposed to be now.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
Hmmm, well, I have an RG8270 and RG8570 both with the edge pro. The 8570 is 56mm and the 8270 is 58mm. The difference at the 1st fret is only 1mm yet they feel completely different (ignoring the thickness) and you'd swear the string spacing was different but it isn't !!!!!?????
They are just giving the string more room before it falls off either side of the fretboard probably. PRS does this.

Tags
fret guitar , fret guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , locking nut , locking nuts , prs guitar , prs guitars , spaced pickup , string skipping , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode