strings: what gauge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

strings: what gauge?

wanted to post this in a 6string forum but anyway here's the deal
i'm about to be in a band that requires low tuning, and wondered what string gauge I could use on my edr. I'll will be, from high to low, tuned like: g, d, a#, f, c, g.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:23 PM

As heavy as you can get.

Try the GHS Boomers Zakk Wylde low-tune set: .011 to .070
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

will the three heavier ones fit in the trs, locking nut and stuff?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Down to G? That's almost as low as I play... Well, at any rate, I' betting the strings will fit with the trem and nut OK. I have a another 7 with a Floyd-licensed trem (Not Lo Pro) and I have no probs with those heavy gauges. BUT! Intonation can be a pain that low, I'm warning ya! With my Ibanez, I have to have the saddle on the low Gb back as far as it can go, and it's still not perfect intonation. Close enough, and only detectable at the upper register (20th+ fret or so. I never play bass notes that low in the upper register, however, so no prob.) and then it's only a little out, but with a TRS, unless the trem cavity is LONG enough towards the back of the body, then your little Allen string clamp bolts might go all the way past that, to be stopped by the top of the trem cavity. My beater 7 is like that. So, beware...
Most likely 27" scale Ibanezes are the only Trem equipped guitars to really be able to pull the low-tuning thing off properly.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 02:12 PM

I use 11's with a 64 bass ernie ball for the low A (the rest is tuned standard) It's pretty tight, but still bendable. I use those cheap d'addario chrome flatwound jazz strings. They slip out of the locking bridge. I need elixers.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 04:48 PM

sam, is this a doom band you're going to play for. That would definitely explain the super low tuning.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 08:03 PM

wow, mayby look into a 27" or an mmm1 if ur goin that low, i mean come on, theres always a good excuse to get a new guitar.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 12:04 PM

I love the EDR body shape... the bass i played fit me like a glove, and the guitar looks much the same... cool.

I've gone as far up as .68 in my seven with no serious problems- any larger than that, though, and you might have trouble getting the string through the tuning machine without drilling it out. I can't remember if I had to change the intonation, but this was in standard tuning, so...

XL scale would definately be preferable here, though... i do agree. Now, if only they made an EDR long-scale guitar...

Hey, idea: buy a 5-string EDR bass, buy the lightest-guage bass strings you can (you'll probably need to hand-assemble a set) and tune it up to the pitch you would have had your guitar at... the pickups might be a little weak, but then again, if they're active... The results could be pretty cool.

(and yes, with enough saturation, distorted bass can sound AWESOME- a friend's fender jazz bass with a Boss metal zone into his bass head sounded just SICK. the Metal Zone is so over the top that it actually tightens up the bass a bit, giving you the same low-end impact but more "crunch" and compression. Tune that bass up a 5th to an octave, give or take, and you could get some sERIOUS grind out of it.

-D
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
sam, is this a doom band you're going to play for. That would definitely explain the super low tuning.
yeah man, more or less indeed!! think Cathedral meets Meshuggah, but more straight ahead and not at all in that "gothico-gloomy-made up" trip some doom bands are in

#

please check this out:
http://membres.lycos.fr/vaomalala/melodic_division.mp3
its something I recorded a year ago or so, which I think subconsciously influenced me to do what I'm doing now heh!
It's basically my EDR470 with a Steve's Special in the bridge and the 9-42 strings it had back then, plugged into my Hughes & Kettner amp and miced with a computer desktop mic. The two lower strings are floppily tuned to C and G.
Thing is: I really like the sound! The light palm mute sound, and especially the low G: the open string has that "wave" response when you hit it you know... Like at exactly 0:19, sounds really "organic"... It definitely adds something to the groove IMO, and thats what I love with it. BUT! The fretted notes are a bit too undefined, and I really cant force myself to play a guitar with two floppy strings and the other four extra tense...
What about something like a 13-56 set for the first 5 ones to low (minus the 0.13 of course), and I dont know... a 0.64 for the G maybe.

By the way, dont know if it has to do with the luthite body or/and the Steve's Special, but even that low and with a 0.42 string, my EDR still sounds more defined and snappier (sp?) than my 2027x with a 0.58 tuned to B...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 AM

I used to use a 10-58 7-string set on my Schecter Revenger-7 in standard tuning or down a whole-step to A, but recently I put on a 10-60 set and now I'm even happier, though I still at times wish they were heavier.

The point of my post is, once you go heavy, you only want to go further
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 02:16 AM

Reviews: 3
Figured I'd give all you guys who play w/ ultra heavy string a good chuckle.

A few years ago I injured my neck
(the one beneath my head...not the one on my guitar)
so I lost a ton of grip in my left hand(about 60lbs).
Plus I play lead so I use the rediculously light sting gauge of (gulp..)
8-50.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
I have the RG1077XL, so I guess soem people tune to low G!! in that. A isn't so bad. Sorry for the late reply.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Ice

yea

check out the new ESP Baritones you can get them stock with EMG's now instead of the HZ's and they come in more colors/styles.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 01:31 PM

Re: yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
check out the new ESP Baritones you can get them stock with EMG's now instead of the HZ's and they come in more colors/styles.
Actually, no. You get stock EMGs or a different colour. Other than that, they're all black.

VB400 - EMG-81 set - Black Satin
VB200 - EMG-HZ H-4 set - Black
MHB400 - EMG-81 set - Black Satin
MHB200 - EMG-HZ H-4 set - Titanium Metallic or Black

Don't get me wrong, nice guitars, some nice new features (like the Earvana Compensated nut), and now the Stephen Carpenter LTD 7-string comes in baritone or standard scales.

http://www.espguitars.com/baritones.htm
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Ice

um

the one with emg's is a different black it's matte. The point is you can get one with EMG's now and before you had to upgrade it yourself.
The also released the Ill Nino models I said would be coming.

Tags
body shape , boss metal zone , equipped guitar , ernie ball , locking bridge , locking nut , lower strings , palm mute , schecter revenger , stephen carpenter , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode