I decided to take all the sealer off and get to bare wood. Still not wanting to sand I got some heavy duty stripper and put it to work.
Rather than brush the stuff on, I put the body in a stationary sink and poured the stripper on top. Then I left it for about 10 hours.
This worked great and the final finish scraped off easily with a plastic scraper. However, since I poured the stripper on the body there was no build up of stripper on the edges. It sat on the flat front and flat back, but just rolled off the edges. So now I have a body that still has finish left on the edges. Do I sand? No!.
I made a little trough and filled it with stripper. Then I put the body in so that each of its edges could get the treatment. 10 hours for each edge.
One seam on the back opened a little bit (1.5 inches) so I filled it with thin super glue. Then just to be careful I ran a line of super glue along all the seams.
Next I'll be sanding the final wood only body lightly with 320 and 600 sand paper to get it smooth enough for the next steps toward getting it finished. This will be as far as I go and I'll be looking for someone to take it up from here and paint it.
My daughter is upset that I'm painting it. She says that right now it looks "sick" and I should just leave it as it is. Sick to her means good BTW.