Stripping with Heat Gun - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Stripping with Heat Gun

I'm finally ready to strip my old RG570 with a heat gun. I've done a bunch of research and read some tutorials, but if any of you have some last-minute advice, I'm all ears.

Thanks! Wish me luck...

Cheers,
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM

Re: Stripping with Heat Gun

Don't burn the paint off. It makes too big of a mess. I think the best technique is to heat an area until it's hot to the touch, then use a razorblade scraper and just shave the paint off. It comes off extremely easy. The other benefit of doing it this way is you leave the factory sealer intact. That saves you having to re-seal the body after it's stripped. The only other advice I have is start on the back. That way you can get a feel for how it's going to come off without worrying about gouging up the front of the body. --Jason
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM

definitely use a light touch. keep the gun around a foot away from the guitar and just heat a little bit at a time. start at the edge of a cavity or something and work your way across the body with the scraper, heating a small section ahead of the scraper and working that chunk of paint off.

when you get your technique down, you'll be able to peel off the finish in big sheets.

if the paint starts bubbling, you're too close. you'll leave ugly burn marks on the wood which are hard to sand out.

also, use a plastic scraper at first, metal scrapers gouge the body too easily.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Yeah i stripped an old peavey bass before i did my rg550. mine was the all black one so i decided to stripp it to the bare wood.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2785341828/
I can tell you the heat gun is the best way for me to stripp a guitar.
You will hit some sections where it seems like the paint adheres to the wood more and in those parts you'll want to add a little more heat.But beware like mentioned above of how long you point the heat gun on that spot or it will start to burn.
But you know what i left a bunch of burnt marks on my rg550 on the back side and it looks really cool.
Oh and put on a long sleeve and gloves for when you bump the heat gun. OUCH!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah, and DON'T TOUCH THE SCRAPER unless you like the smell of burnt flesh.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Wouldnt it be a better idea to use chemicals to get the paint off, a heat gun is far to dangerous for someone who hasnt practised using a heat gun before. I Don't want you to mess up your Rg man.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your concern, but the RG is already messed up. You may (or may not) recall a thread about how my girlfriend's cat peed on my guitar from a few months ago...well this is that guitar.

I figure I'll strip it (and hence rid the guitar of the smell) and if it looks good I'll get some new electronics for it and use it tuned to Eb. If I mess the thing up totally, I'll be no worse off than I already was...

Tags
heat gun , refinish , rg570 , stripping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode