Substitute for Gibson SG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Substitute for Gibson SG?

I have a Gibson SG and I love to play it, but the constant going out of tune is drivning med nuts. Can anyone suggest a guitar that feels and plays lika a Gibson SG but that stays in tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Substitute for Gibson SG?

which specific SG do you have? Not worth letting a guitar tech look at it? It should stay in tune simply put. It's too bad Ibanez doesn't make a weight-relieved double-cutaway solid body MIJ axe... the AR2619 is quite heavy like a LesPaul, compared to an SG . They share a similar neck profile. If you can find a used AR2000 they are fantastic... like a US-made SG.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 5

Why not just replace your SG's tuners with locking ones?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:05 AM

MIght look into one of these
https://www.string-butler.com/

then you can keep your sg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!! You are awsome!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
which specific SG do you have? Not worth letting a guitar tech look at it? It should stay in tune simply put. It's too bad Ibanez doesn't make a weight-relieved double-cutaway solid body MIJ axe... the AR2619 is quite heavy like a LesPaul, compared to an SG . They share a similar neck profile. If you can find a used AR2000 they are fantastic... like a US-made SG.
Ibanez had SGs back in the lawsuit era, I've seen one before but they are REALLY hard to find.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Have you ever tried putting strings on the way Gibson says (or used to say)....first wrap over the top and then rest of the wraps underneath. I got rid of an SG for the same reason as you....replaced it with an SG like Vox SDC 55. Was also going out of tune. I tried the string change method that both Gibson and Vox said....and it worked amazingly well. Better than locking tuners, much more stable....and I HAVE used locking tuners on many guitars including SG's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM

Tuning problems are almost always the nut, and Gibson never came with properly cut examples. You don't say how old the guitar is or if you have had a proper setup, but that is where I would start.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Reviews: 10

Have you ever tried an Ibanez S series with a fixed bridge? Super light like a Gibson SG but more stable tuning and much nicer feeling in your hands, in my humble opinion (but I'm partial to Ibanez necks and not a big fan of Gibson necks).

S421 | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

As Aryton said newer Gibsons nuts are sometimes not perfect cause they're often PLEK'd without oversight (not the intention of the machine) so quite possibly the nut needs some adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Ibanez had SGs back in the lawsuit era, I've seen one before but they are REALLY hard to find.
Yup they come up used in the US but SGs are plentiful here and their quality/warranty/etc. would make finding the Ibanez lawsuit models moot TBH. 42.8mm neck, 12"/305mm radius. I know many here get hung up on the wizard profile dimensions but really play something else for a month and you'll be like why did i imprison myself to the Ibanez wizard again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Have you ever tried an Ibanez S series with a fixed bridge? Super light like a Gibson SG but more stable tuning and much nicer feeling in your hands, in my humble opinion (but I'm partial to Ibanez necks and not a big fan of Gibson necks).
[url=http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S421]S421 | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia[/url
Altogether different guitar and much flatter fretboard. I'm not sure many SG players wants a body-hugging hike it up to your neck style fusion axe but your point is good and worth considering... likewise a fixed bridge JS is always as much a no-brainer as they come (just harder to find and more $)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post

S421 | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
I'm glad you mentioned that one... I recently ran across an S521 and have been considering one, but I like the Gibraltar bridge better on the S421.

Electric Guitar S - S521 | Ibanez guitars
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 PM

well if you dead set on getting another guitar, the epiphone elitist line are Japanese made and can be be found for reasonable considering they are a more consistent build that any of the Gibson stuff.

https://reverb.com/item/7494035-epip...-made-in-japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode