"Substitute" guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

"Substitute" guitar

After much thought and consideration I decided that the JS1000 that I was originally planning on purchasing is just not for me. The guitar is perfect, but the price isn't. I'm just not willing to pay over 1000 bucks for a guitar that does the same thing as an 800 - 900 dollar American Strat.

So I'm looking for a replacement. I really would like an Ibanez, because I still think you get the most bang for your buck (excluding sig. models.) I have been looking at the S1220. Perfect guitar for me. The only thing I'm concerned about is the wizard neck. I currently own a GRX and I love the neck shape, although it could be just a *bit* thinner. I don't really know if this is the shape for me, because its the only electric I've ever owned, but its the one I'm most used to.

How hard would it be to adjust to a wizard neck? Yes, I know its more of a personal thing, but how are they alike and different? Is there any neck shape maybe more suited to my tastes?

One more thing: I'd rather not do the "used" thing. Unless I get it through someone like Rich who knows what he's doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:47 PM

i believe one can get used to any neck shape. my advice may be obvious, but try as many different guitars as you can.
i know you said no used guitars, but that way if you don't like it you can resell for a similar price. if you want bang for the buck, nothing beats a used RG570/550 (in the states, of course)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

RG body style is too wild for my tastes

However there is something that I like about the JEM's so much though. Its the same body shape but they just look so more extravegant (sp.) and even a bit more subtle than the RG's. Not as raw looking I guess.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:02 PM

my english must be wrong....how can something be more extravagant AND more subtle?????
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I worded it totally wrong, its just hard to explain for me. The RG's just look like a big chunk of painted wood to me. Even those RG-ART's and stuff looked the same to me. I think the pickguard and the monkey grip of the JEM's is really what hooks me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think "finesse" would be a better word than "subtle"

But anyway, imho you'll adapt to the Wizard neck in no time flat. I believe it has the prestige finishing on it that'll make it feel kinda broken in already and I think they do feel pretty familiar no matter what neck you're used to.

But yes if you're worried about feel, go out and try everything you like the look of, then pick the best of the bunch and don't ake our opinions as gospel.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know how the Ultra neck would compare to the satch or the GRX?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:08 AM

You should adjust fine to the wizard neck , also the prestige necks are very nice

So you should be OK, and the s-series is a nice guitar

Have a look at the piezo models as well, more added features and well cool
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:44 PM

You might consider the S2020x (or S2120X)...it has a fatter neck plus piezos.
Greg
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 03:39 PM

another fact, guys, he may end up never playing the grx ever again due to the wizards and ultras. its like going from a geo metro to a camaro or vette. you get spoiled on the good. that was the way it was for me with my old ex160 to a rg550. you begin to dislike other necks as much when you fly on a wizard. BTW, the s1220 is a really good choice, but if your a pickup switcher and are used to the strat positioned switch, the s will get a little getting used to. even though they are both in the same relative position, the angles and exact position will take getting accustomed to. that is a reason why i let my S540 go.

rich
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

2020X/2120X is still a little out of my price range. I'm not interested in paying that much for a guitar just quite yet.

As for the necks, I'm going to go down to the local neo-mom-and-pop-overpriced music store just to try some necks out and see what I like. I think the 1220 should fit my needs very well.

The GRX...ahhh...the GRX...good times...
After 7 or 8 broken whammy bars, an almost totally wallered-out arm hole, scratchy pots on everything, including the toggle switch, dirty fretboard, flat frets, dirty neck, chipped paint, and whacked out tuners its still one of my fav guitars!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:00 AM

I don't agree with the statment about a Strat doing the same thing as a JS! If that were true I would have bought a Strat a long time ago, and never bothered with a JS at all. Just wanted to point that out
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I know they are far from the same thing, but they do have a similar feel to each other.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 08:25 AM

But with the JS you got the Lo Pro trem, Dimarzio pups, coil split, and high pass filter. I don't see any of these on a strat. Of course you could always mod a strat, but then you could have gotten a JS after shelling out the cash to do that. Good luck
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so maybe they are a *little* different...

But what it comes down to is I want a good high end Ibanez for under a thousand bucks.

Tags
body shape , chrome boy , coil split , coil tap , dimarzio pups , high pass filter , monkey grip , music store , neck shape , pickup switch , prestige necks , scott henderson , strat plus , strat trem , toggle switch , whammy bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode