Successful Neck install, and a few other Ibbys - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Successful Neck install, and a few other Ibbys

I bought 2 Ibanez RV-470's earlier this year, and just picked up an extra Body last month, but was having a difficult time finding a suitable neck. I had no replies from emails sent to ETGuitars, Bunker, or PerleGuitars on availability of 22 fret AANJ neck. Only Ed Roman confirmed the availability of a 22 Fret AANJ neck, but before I decide to send my body off to Vegas, I want to give these other companies more time to respond, and went with a different approach.

I found a used S series MIJ used Ibanez neck, that had the AANJ, and 22 frets, and rolled the dice that it would work. These necks occasionally can be found on auction sites, and are reasonable priced, but always are routed with a shelf for locking nut, which is NOT what I want. However, I purchased a conversion nut from PerleGuitars that fits in the Shelf route, and is cut for 10's.

It fit perfectly. The neck is wider at the nut and has a different radius and profile than the Vipers on my other RV-470's, but it fits the neck pocket like a dream, and bolted in with no issues. It intonated on a dime, and after adjusting the bridge to match the radius, it plays wonderfully.

On left is RV with replacement neck from S Series, on right RV with Viper neck.

Far left before I installed the pickups in the new Rv, to the right the other Vintage Tobacco RV-470,( with a Dimarzio Bluesbucker in bridge, Dimarzio Cruiser in middle, and Dimarzio Eric Johnson in neck, and a Wilkinson VS 300 trem), then a 442R I picked up a month ago, ( and added cream Dimarzio True Velvets and cream/black Bluesbucker, and a Goeldo Backstop), a Trans Purple RV-470,( with Dimarzio Andy Timmons in Bridge, stock middle, and Bluesbucker in neck) a Royal Blue BL-550 Blazer, and a White 430 S,(with Goeldo Backstop) both with stock Single Coils. The ibanez single Coils from the 80's and 90's are incredible ! The Blazer has the coils tapped, so you have the option of a vintage tone, or a tone a bit hotter, and also in position 2 and 4, you can have the two single coils operate in parallel or series humbucking modes.

I still have all my RG Prestiges with Edge and Edge Pro's, and sure don't plan on parting with them, but obviously I have found an admiration for Guitars with vintage trems lately, and IMHO, The ones from Ibanez are the best !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Re: Successful Neck install, and a few other Ibbys

Nice collection
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 PM

Sickeningly awesome stable of some rare beasts. I'd love to have a BL550 in candy apple red! I do wish Ibanez made more nice axes with non-locking trems.

There's an RV on eBay right now for $380 BIN. Non-stock pups and changed low E tuner.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to Boombatty and Ashurbanipal for the compliments on these vintage trem Ibbys. I have quite a few Prestiges and Other MIJ in my collection also but alas they have been in their cases for a while as I concentrate on 'non lockers".

I did see that one on auction this week, and considered it, but honestly, I paid less for the complete ones I already have. I am not worried about the pickups as I switch those anyway, as well as usually upgrade the electronics to Schaller Megaswitches, and add treble bleed and Orange caps on the tone pot. The neck though, has had a retainer bar installed, and those gold Gotoh magnum Locking tuners are hard to find.

I love those tuners, and they came standard on many Ibbys in the 80's and 90's. Gotoh sells a good enough replacement although the whole set needs to be replaced. Some older Ibbys have a thicker than normal headstock, and the shortest in the staggered sets doesn't clear enough to insert the high E string.

There have been some rare, but not necessarily high valued ,Ibbys coming up on auction recently, and it is a good time for me as I have a lil bit of extra cash put away for these things. I don't even consider bidding on" pointy guitars" anymore, only because I just don't find ones in better shape than the ones I already have, and that I bought new.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM

I'd consider that RV if circumstances were different for me. I like a Floyd but don't use it for the antics it was meant for that much; I could easily get by with a non-locking whammy/locking tuners combo. Hell, just look at what Beck does on his Strat .

Yeah, there's plenty of things that fly under the radar. I love the old Roadstars and Prolines, and many go for a song.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

I see your based in Aussie land, there is a guy in your general direction who sells vintage japanese guitars, ibanez, Greco, fernandes, Burny, good shape and very reasonable prices, you should have a look. "Howling Strings Guitars", I usually get updates on his Facebook page.

Tags
442r , blazer , rv-470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode