Successfully swap an Edge Pro into a lo-pro S body? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Successfully swap an Edge Pro into a lo-pro S body?

Anyone ever swap an Edge Pro into a Lo pro S series body? I've seen the FAQ regarding what trem will fit where but it's for the RG series and I know the S series trem cavity is tighter. I've ordered a new one from Rich, which, hurricane permitting, will be here within the next week (or two).

Replacing a cosmetically fugly Lo Pro that's fully functional in an S1520 I'm restoring, just want something that looks cosmetically nicer, more modern, etc...

And Rich, hope you made it through everything ok. I've been there more times than you could possibly imagine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Re: Successfully swap an Edge Pro into a lo-pro S body?

Should fit with room to wiggle.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Sweetness! Thanks!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
cosmetically fugly Lo Pro
Really?!??

You're entitled to your opinion, but wow!... I love the lo-pro in every way including how it looks.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

I was referring to the metal pimples, faded finish, etc...

But from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the Edge Pro is better looking. There, I said it. Boom! :-)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
I was referring to the metal pimples, faded finish, etc...

But from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the Edge Pro is better looking. There, I said it. Boom! :-)
LMAO!!!!

The EP is a good looking beast, isn't it..........

AFAIK, your going to have some trouble with the spring block on the EP fitting into the LP route. I KNOW that's the case on an RG. You'll have to route, cut, or otherwise remove some wood from inside the cavity to accommodate the spring block. It won't be visible after the install is done. You might also have some clearance issues in front of the studs (between the studs and bridge pup. If you do it will be minor, but making room WILL be visible.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Crap. Not what I wanted to hear. Grrr. But no worries, I'll make it work one way or the other. I've got another S540 body coming in that will be totally reworked if I chicken out on cutting up the 1520 Prestige. It needs a refinish anyway and it'll be pretty modified once I'm done.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
Crap. Not what I wanted to hear. Grrr. But no worries, I'll make it work one way or the other. I've got another S540 body coming in that will be totally reworked if I chicken out on cutting up the 1520 Prestige. It needs a refinish anyway and it'll be pretty modified once I'm done.
Don't let the work scare you...once you get the trem and compare it to the route in the body, you'll see that it isn't much work. A good woodworker could do it for you in minutes.......... hopefully for a fair price. Personally, I'd charge you $30 to do it. Others in your area should be comparable to that.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

As long as it's not visible or drastic, I'm ok doing it. I could probably use a wood file, no? Post office says it'll be here tomorrow which is shocking considering Rich sent it out on Tuesday. I'm surprised anything is coming out of that area of the country at the moment.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

The brand-spankin'-new Edge Pro arrived today despite Hurricane Sandy (thanks Rich!). I really didn't expect it til next week. Just for future reference, I'm posting a few images as it's virtually impossible to find photos of the Edge Pro underside. I bought the full kit from Rich even though I'll be using the Lo-Pro locking posts. Never hurts to have a few misc. parts lying around.

I'll try to document the issues with the swap and the necessary modifications. Will do a rough fit to the S1520 tonight and if it's going to be a major amount of cutting, I'll use it in another body I have coming in. But it'll be a while before that one is done as it's getting a full-on refinish with laminate. And it needs a neck.

Why your edge/lo pro edge brass block won't fit an Edge pro...

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I dove right in after work this evening, pulled out the S1520 and just laid the edge pro in there to see how it fit. Well, it's pretty much a direct drop in.

I could see it would limit raising the term depending on how high the posts were set at and I just had to eyeball everything at this point. I decide to go ahead and install it. Looked for the extra set of Ernie's I had in nines and couldn't find them anywhere. Gave up and pulled out my last set of EB Cobalts but they're 10's. I have extra springs but I didn't want to waste a $10 set of strings knowing I was going to have the guitar apart again for a pickup swap and fretwork. Screw it. I'm also finding I prefer 9's as of late but I'm impatient and I really wanted to get this guitar together sooner than later.

Managed to get everything on, turned the stock screws all the way in (the brass ones included with my KGC brass claw weren't "thick" enough and one flew straight out when I attached the first spring) and started tuning. Got everything lined up and tuned. Looks great on the guitar!

Next to the Lo Pro...

Test fit from the back...

Installed and tuned. Not much room up front but plenty in back. If you want to really pull up on the bar a significant amount, you'll have to do a bit of filing. But the width is fine and removing a few mm up front will give you a fully-functioning term. It dives like the stock lo pro.

I plugged her into a little Yamaha THR10 to noodle really quick and I started out on the clean channel. Have to say I really like the Cobalts. Just great strings and I use them on all my guitars unless I know I'll be taking things apart frequently. THe QM's sounded surprisingly good and reacted to volume adjustments really well. Very vocal. Turned up the master volume and switched to crunch, got some strange low end noises which required adjusting the amp. Not sure what's causing it but it was fine after I rolled off the gain just a smidge. I'll test it out with the Eleven Rack tomorrow but I'm suspecting the QM's don't handle high gain well.

I have to say, I REALLY like this guitar. Action is about 3/32nd's and it took almost nothing to set it up. Zero buzzing anywhere. I didn't do any fret work on this guitar like I did the S540 as I was planning on a full-on fret dress by a luthier as there's wear. It's hard to see but I can feel it and I figure it'll just get worse unless I take care of it. The entire guitar just feels fantastic. Balanced and very light. And sustain is better than any of my other S guitars including the S540. Every one I own is an AANJ. It's not as "fat" as the S5470 but it does sing and the pickups have a nice vocal quality to them. As is, it's a very expressive guitar and very easy to play. I'm finding more and more that I'm liking the Wizard neck as it seems easier to play. Much more so than the Indonesian neck which I believe is a Wizard II shape. Maybe the guitar is just settled in more. Dunno, but I get the same vibe from the S540.

There are a few of these S1520's for sale if you look around, one for a very good price and in good condition at GC. I thought about picking it up but I've bought enough guitars over the last month. Just a great guitar especially considering what they're going for currently.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Last two...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Nice man.
I assume the swap would also work in reverse then?
Edge pro out, lo pro in?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m t soule View Post
Nice man.
I assume the swap would also work in reverse then?
Edge pro out, lo pro in?
No,not even close.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Edge pro smaller.

I would have never downgraded to Edge pro,....lo-pro and standard edge = best.

I have 2 edge pro equipped guitars i want edges in,but alas....will not fit.(the reason for swap,i want to fit Hollow point intonation bolts).
Apparently the Gotoh branded floyds fit,but i cannot find a definitive answer.

Tags
edge pro , lo pro , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode