suggestions for my to-be-made custom made 7 string guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

suggestions for my to-be-made custom made 7 string guitar?

elo,

1. I'm looking to order a custom-made 7 string electric guitar with tremolo.

2. the features of the guitar in full, that I want (comments are welcomed):

- 7 string electric guitar with tremolo.

- body that as thin as 'blackmachine' guitar (http://www.blackmachine.co.uk).

- super thin body, thin neck, very light in weight, short neck, small body, small distance from fret to fret, low action, with tremolo.

- marvellous sustain in the sounding of the guitar

- big range from very bassy to very trebly EQ wise in the sounding of the guitar (can have the option of switching from humbucker-like to single coil-like sound, vice versa)

- smooth movement on fingerboard as the fretting hand moves up and down the neck, no bumps and other friction in place.

- features as evident in http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=24

- Gloss Black in color; refer to http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=24

- low-B tuning based (around like .056 for the low-B?), of course having the option using the same string to further downtune to A, or G, as of other 7 string guitars in the market.

3. comments/feedbacks/suggestions are welcomed.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:44 AM

Re: suggestions for my to-be-made custom made 7 string guitar?

Sounds like a monster .

Regards

André

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 AM

I think you should goto blackmachine and talk to the guys there, from what I've seen guitars that thin take a while to get right, especially as you want plenty of sustain from the guitar
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:05 AM

Who are ya lookin to make the guitar?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezrocker61
Who are ya lookin to make the guitar?
I'm based in Malaysia. So, if you do know anyone good, in Malaysia or Singapore, or other places nearby do let me know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelives1980
short neck, small body, small distance from fret to fret
BAD idea - a 25.5" scale is really as short as you want to go on a 7, to keep that low B intonating correctly. Even the 24 3/4 on the Epi Les Pauls is too short - any shorter than that (ESPECIALLY if you're tuning down to A or G) would be disasterous.

Sure, a shorter scale would let you do wide interval stretches easier, but it'd come at a HUGE cost for low-string definition and intonation.

If you want to tune to G, I'd recommended going to a LONGER scale - a 1077/2077 from Ibanez is 27" as I recall, and feels only marginal;ly "stretchier" than a 25.5, but gives you a much crisper low end. That'd be my recommendation.

-D
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM

Sounds like you want an Ibanez AX-7521. No need to go custom, and they typically run $250 used in good shape. It might be worth getting one to see if it fits your needs, and if not, just put it back in the 'Bay.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
If you want to tune to G, I'd recommended going to a LONGER scale - a 1077/2077 from Ibanez is 27" as I recall, and feels only marginal;ly "stretchier" than a 25.5, but gives you a much crisper low end. That'd be my recommendation.

-D
yeah, for tuning lower than B on a 7 stringer I wouldn't use a scale shorter than 27", the meshuggah lads were using UV777BKs for "nothing" and said that they were constantly having to retune the guitar and how bad the intonation was

funny you mention the 2077XL, I just so happen to have on for sale (maybe the threadstarter would be interested)

anyway, basically you want a scale of around 27" - 28.5"

Tags
electric guitar , epi les paul , les paul , les pauls , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode