Suggestions for trem arm slop in new Jackson Dinky? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Suggestions for trem arm slop in new Jackson Dinky?

Just got a new Jackson Dinky DK2S from an online dealer, with "JT580 LP" bridge. It seems like a decent guitar (and the Sustainiac is a blast- main reason I got it). But the linkage between the trem arm and the bridge is sloppy, no matter how hard I try to tighten the finger-nut which holds the bar into the bridge. I was hoping it would be as tight as the OFR on a 20+ year old guitar I have, but instead it's almost as sloppy as the screw-in bar in my Strat. No good for the Vai-type flutter effects, etc. This was a "floor" model and came with no manual or tools. I see an Allen screw head opposite the bar under the bridge plate (after taking off trem cavity cover on the back), but it is tight.

Any suggested modifications or upgrades to tighten this thing up?

I searched on here and elsewhere and didn't see any similar complaints, so maybe I should just send it back while I still can and try another?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Re: Suggestions for trem arm slop in new Jackson Dinky?

I have one of those OFR type arms on my ZR trem and unfortunately I've never managed to get it tight as I would like it. The only thing I can suggest is applying nylon washers and shims in particular areas to increase the clamping pressure, but I have yet to try that myself.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:05 AM

Reviews: 18

Get an OFR and replace that 580LP.

Jimmy
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I may well replace it with an OFR eventually. Would still like to make this one work in the meantime though. I can tell from searches that the 580LP isn't exactly well liked, but can't tell if this is a common reason.

Can't find any info on where to get or how to use nylon washers?

Would one of these fit, and solve the problem (replace collar assembly on 580LP with the one that comes with this)?
http://www.allparts.com/Black-Tremol...p-1000-003.htm
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Weld it...
I had the same problem with my Dinky, I ordered a replacement from guitarfetish, with the nylon bushing, problem solved.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 PM

This is the ticket...

http://www.allparts.com/Black-Tremol...p-1000-003.htm

I did it to mine.

Also worth noting is that by the time the replacement bar arrived...the original bar "fixed itself". Apparently, it just needed some time/use to get the bar and bushing to seat properly. I still replaced the bar and have never looked back.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratobanger View Post
I can tell from searches that the 580LP isn't exactly well liked, but can't tell if this is a common reason.
The trem arm I think is the main problem with the trem, and why so many people replace it with an OFR ASAP.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 AM

Yes, this does seem to be a problem with the Jackson bridge. I find that whilst the bridge itself is OK (perfectly fine in operation and of decent quality) the arm holder is definately the weak link within the design. I have found it a bit frustrating, tightening the arm in only for it to come loose very soon afterwards after little use.

OFR replacement is an option, but think I will persist with it for now, will use my engineering skills to experiment and come up with a solution

'87

Tags
dinky , jackson , slop , trem , whammy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode