Suhr 10th Anniversary or Suhr Guthrie Govan Signature? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Suhr 10th Anniversary or Suhr Guthrie Govan Signature?

I'm going to buy a Suhr guitar, but I don't know if Im going to buy a 10th Anniversary or the guthrie GOvan signature. Anyone who has tried them both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Suhr 10th Anniversary or Suhr Guthrie Govan Signature?

yep,

It comes down to which colour you like best and whether you want a Floyd or not.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

How is the play-feeling on the 10th anniversary vs the guthrie govan then ?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty much the same,

Suhrs in my experience are very consistent guitars and all the Suhr's I've played, play very nicely, the biggest difference between those two are the trems and the colours.

I think the Suhr Modern outline missed the mark by a long way but they play very nicely.

Personally I'd put my money elsewhere, but if you fancy the current "en vogue" name then either of those will suit you down to the ground, just do you need a "proper" whammy bar or not
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man!; D I'm really into shredding stuffs, so you think i should buy a Suhr ? ;D I tried Mattias Eklundh's Caparison yesterday when he played a clinic, and it was so good! Are Suhr and Caparison much the same ?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think the Modern is too ugly. I also think that the Suhr boom has been accentuated by internet forums and the guitars' high prices. They're great guitars, but I personally have stuck with my JEMs and JSs. Caparison are nice too but I don't find them as ergonomic to hold as the Suhrs you're after.

I think if you're considering a big purchase like this you need to think about trying the guitars yourself first but I guess in your part of the world that's quite hard. Overall I'd put my Ibanez guitars above a Suhr in terms of playability, then a Suhr above a Caparison. BUT the differences are marginal, and it's familiarity with the JEM I've had for over 10 years that's influencing that statement.

Overall, to be honest if you can't try the guitars first, I'd say pick the hardware you want. Floyd vs traditional bridge, then HSH vs HH etc. Then pick the one you like the look of best. If you don't like the look of the guitar, you simply won't want to bother playing it. The differences between brands at these levels are simply personal preference.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM

As a owner of a Jem 7VWH and several other Jems in the past and a Suhr Standard: The Suhr has a higher quality standard than the Jem.
The distorted sounds are equal in quality, but the Suhr has better and more usefull clean tones then the Jem.
Is the upcharge of $ 2000,- worth it? For some people yes. Is it THAT much better? No, it's not. My buddies Jem10th still is one the best playing and sounding guitars i've ever heard.

If you like a complete versatile guitar that does it all ( although i agree with Jono: the modern isn't a great looking shape), go for the GG model. The blow switch and tremol-no are great additions. Also, the trem from the GG model isn't that much different from a floyd. You can still do 99% of the Steve Vai tricks and play in tune. It's a floating trem.

If you are heavily into shred, then Ibanez is better than good. If you like shred, but also jazz and some blues and like to do some countrylick: go for the GG model.

Maybe you can go the several shops in Oslo and try out different guitars to see what works for you.

Anyway, good luck and i hope you succeed in your quest for a cool guitar. Make sure you do a NGD when you buy a guitar
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 PM

I'm selling my JS to buy a Modern, after getting my S4 the quality just doesn't compare.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

The GG Suhr is much more expensive than the Modern though. THe Modern is used, and the GG is new so its lik 2000 $ in difference ; D But the modern is good for shredding stuffs too ?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM

If the difference is $ 2000 i would buy the 10th Suhr. It's not that much different from the GG.

What guitar do you prefer visually or sonically ( woodwise)?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I'll think Ill go for the 10th Anniversary ; D
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I'd go for the 10th - as a limited edition you would expect it to hold its value better if you ever want to sell.

As an owner of a Suhr Standard for 4 yrs (ie before the Suhr boom) I can honestly say it is the best guitar I have ever played.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 AM

I've always loved the look of Guthrie's signature model. Plus, the little switch which puts it to bridge pickup and full tone/volume is really cool.

Tags
suhr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode