Are Suhr THAT good? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 AM

Re: Are Suhr THAT good?

Those are beautiful!!!

They look flat to me Ayrton but I've never seen any of those in person.

~Bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 AM

I always thought they were flat until I saw those pics...

I guess it is just the pics, anyway nice looking stuff.
post #18 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Guthrie Govan describes them as "eerily perfect".
yeah, he's paid for that....
post #19 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM

The Blue ones are flat..... the burst is a carved top.
post #20 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
People tend to make too much of hype over them! they are nice but they certainly aren't the six string Holy grail if that's what you're expecting
Let's keep it real folks...
This random speculation, gleaned from a few minuites playing time IF that, sure does make me doubt the multitude of owners on here and everywhere else who a) say they are as awesome as you claim them not to be and b) have bought another, despite the very, very high price, because they are THAT good.
post #21 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 AM

I have a Suhr Carved top, with a neck(Mahogany and indian rosewood) very similar to the JS1200 neck and I have to say it is one of the best playing guitars I have ever had, so good I have 1 on order and another in the pipeline.

Too much hype?? Nope, just a Quality guitar. I even sold my DNA to fund a few Suhrs.
post #22 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Maybe I have to wait a little to get a SUHR from you...
I am SURE that it won't take long. Another happy buy in the near future from Dave
post #23 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes View Post
I've received as much financial compensation from Suhr as Guthrie has.

And for those who might find them pricey, I believe with this guitar you do get the attention to detail and master craftsmanship for which you're paying. Don't let the list prices scare you. Mine listed for $4000 and I paid $2800 including State taxes. You buy it from another State online and you avoid those. Haven't lots of folks paid over $2000 for J-Customs, DNAs and other high-end guitars? I agree that paying over $2000 for any guitar is not cheap, but for what I got with this purchase, I wouldn't say it's overpriced either.

paul
post #24 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etfmusic View Post
Maybe I have to wait a little to get a SUHR from you...
I am SURE that it won't take long. Another happy buy in the near future from Dave
My current Suhr has become my main player along with my JS1200, I have no intentions of getting rid of them either.

Believe it or not I do actually keep some guitars longer than a few months.

Paul is spot on with what he said, the craftsmanship is of the highest standard.

Last edited by Passion_and_Warfare; 03-12-2008 at 09:44 AM.
post #25 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Gutherie Govan does not get paid by Suhr. Suhr does not give away guitars, nor do they pay endorsers...you want one, you buy it.

Secondly, Suhr in the same class along with McNaught, Warrior, and Abyss? Puhhhhhlease. While those other makers might LOOK nice, theyre just as pricey if not worse, and John's standard of consistency is bar none higher than almost any builder I can think of. Ibanez cannot touch this level of craftsmanship. Not many can really.

Do ANY of these makers listed match the resonant frequency of body woods and neck woods when building a guitar? NO. Suhr's got the patent on that...

Last edited by TheOrangeChannel; 03-12-2008 at 10:37 AM.
post #26 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes View Post
By who?
post #27 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm not overly experienced to be honest and have kinda gone up the guitar chain quite quickly, my Suhr is actually the... 4th electric guitar I've actually owned (Not counting basses and acoustic).

It plays phenomenally - I thought my RGA played nice, but the Suhr is on another level. The only way I can describe it is I can play things on the Suhr that I find difficult on my RGA, and even harder on the Jem I used to have.

If I was going to change anything then I'd swap out the pickups for something a little hotter, because at the moment it's not QUITE versatile enough to be able to cover some heavier sounds, but I have my RGA for that. I'm also wishing I went for a hardtail now too (knew I should have done).

I cannot find fault with it though, it's just a beauty.

*Tries to resist posting a pic...* Oh go on then!

Yum yum yum!
post #28 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM

To be honest, I've never played one, but the snobbery and elitest attitude that most (most not everyone) of the people I have spoken to that own these guitars is enough to put me off for life.

I think Jono said it best when he said something along the lines of "Give me a decent RG and a box of good pickups." (Though I'd probably take something else over the RG these days )
post #29 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
To be honest, I've never played one, but the snobbery and elitest attitude that most (most not everyone) of the people I have spoken to that own these guitars is enough to put me off for life.
You have jerks who play any brand, so don't let that put you off of any guitar model. I mean, look at the online wars between Jackson vs. Ibanez people where they talk down to one another. Before I owned a Suhr, I was surfing their forum and saw an idiot who said "let the kids play their little 24 fret toys". This was before Suhr had ever made the decision to build the Modern, which is their new 24-fret model, and he was boasting about how Suhr was made for adults. I'm glad John Suhr ignores people like that and builds want he wants to. I've known plenty of gear snobs, but you have to play what you enjoy and I'm glad I gave them a shot. I think I can have a Suhr and my RG550 DY side by side and be perfectly happy with both.

paul
post #30 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM

That is very true Paul.

It took me a long time to warm to PRS guitars actually and I'll most likely end up with one soon. It seems to me like the folk that used to trumpet them have shifted over to the Suhr/Anderson camp.

Just ignore me, I'm behind the curve lol

Tags
alder body , birdseye maple neck , custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , electric guitar , fender custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , jeff beck , john suhr , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , maple neck , monkey grip , neck shape , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars , quilted maple , rosewood fingerboard , scott henderson , sounding guitar , stainless frets , strat sound , strat style , strat tone , suhr guitars , suhr standard , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode