Are Suhr THAT good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Are Suhr THAT good?

Those with experience with Suhr guitars. Are they So good? because are pretty pricey.

Please do not talk just by reference but by own experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Re: Are Suhr THAT good?

Well, good compared to what?

I bought a gorgeous Fender Custom Shop '65 Gold on Gold relic Strat a few years ago (to replace a particularly nice '63 Strat, but that's another story) - it is a great guitar, really, seriously great Strat.......

..... Anyway, about a year after I got it, a friend who so happens to be the Australian SUHR distributor dropped by with a Custom Audio head and a blond SUHR Alder Standard (Strat style, non-locking trem, noise cancelling system, stainless frets on a one piece Maple neck).....

So, after playing the Suhr for an hour or so, I'm looking at my lovely Strat and thinking; "Uh, just WHY did I buy a Fender......?" The Strat is about $7K worth of Fender, the Suhr, at that point, listed at $4600 (Aussie Dollars) - I would have done a straight swap without a moment's hesitation.

Yes, they are REALLY good!
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM

Definatley good! As David said, compared to what? My Standard doesn't actually replace anything I already own, it has a totally different feel and sound to my jems, rg's, jacksons and PRS's. I rate it as one of the best guitars I've ever played.
Build quality and finishing is definately better than most, but I'd put my RG8670 in the same category as my Standard
Also, put it this way. I've been saying that I wouldn't buy a new guitar ever again. BUT after owning the Standard for a short time, I actually put in a custom order for another Standard. Just awesome guitars But, before you go and spend a **** load of money on one, try one out if you can. It may not be for you
post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Are Suhr THAT good?

People tend to make too much of hype over them! they are nice but they certainly aren't the six string Holy grail if that's what you're expecting
Let's keep it real folks...
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
People tend to make too much of hype over them! they are nice but they certainly aren't the six string Holy grail if that's what you're expecting
Let's keep it real folks...
agreed
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Dee

Guthrie Govan describes them as "eerily perfect".
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 PM

post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 AM

I bought this one

http://www.mattsmusic.com/s3group.jpg

And am not overly impressed. Nice fit and finish, looks great/ PU's are rather on the weak side.Very nice guitar, but doesn't feel or sound any better than the rest of the herd, but than again the only one who really stands out is the fly.
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM

The craftsmanship is superb. I'm on my first one now and I've owned Ibanez, Parker, Fender, Anderson, EB/MM and Gibson. It's the best quality of any of those with Anderson and EB/MM being right there very close to it. I've never seen much discussion about Suhr actually. They seem to just do their thing and do it very well and word of mouth sells them. As with any guitar, the fit and feel may not be to your liking. But after personally owning about 42 guitars now (yes, I'm old), this company just knows how to deliver a Porsche of a guitar. There's no way for me to diminish this thing - it's that nice. The rest is just whether or not it suits your hands and what you want tonally from your instrument. This is what I want.

paul
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Like any other guitar, I really think you should try before you buy. But if I had to buy sight unseen, it would probably be a Suhr.
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 AM

all the suhr's i've played are GREAT. i like anderson better, but not by much. for the best value, melancon has them all beat. still, they are excellent. my only 2 guitars that would go head to head with a suhr are my rgt3120 and rg7ct. i can't say that they would come out on top over the suhr. try a grosh or tyler as well, those are insane as well. mcinturff and mcnaught are equally as impressive, as is warrior. keep your mind open and play as many guitars as you can regardless of price intimidation, then you can make the decisions for yourself.

rich
post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 AM

I've tried a few Suhrs, and for my money I couldnt justify the price tag. They were nice guitars, absolutely, but at those prices I'd probably look at Warrior, David McNaught, and Abyss Customs (or another custom company) instead.
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 AM

They are my pick for Bolt-on guitars bar none.
here are a few..

Andersons are also excellent, and Melancons are a second hand steal!

.. here is a blue mel

I have probably over poster these pics.... but they are such good guitars I want to support them!!
post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:30 AM

Are those curved tops?
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Dee

I fancy a swim now...

Tags
alder body , birdseye maple neck , custom shop , david mccarroll , doug aldrich , electric guitar , fender custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , jeff beck , john suhr , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , maple neck , monkey grip , neck shape , playing guitar , prs guitar , prs guitars , quilted maple , rosewood fingerboard , scott henderson , sounding guitar , stainless frets , strat sound , strat style , strat tone , suhr guitars , suhr standard , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode