Suhr Modern custom - disappointed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Suhr Modern custom - disappointed

I thought it would be nice to try something different, something made in the US, classy, top end, a bit pricey but worth the extra? Well it arrived today, initially looked very nice and plays well - neck is close to the JS models but maybe slightly thicker. However the work done to smooth down the fret ends has cut up the edge of the fretboard pretty bad. Worse than any Japanese Ibanez I've ever owned. Kind of hard to photograph, but here goes. What was I thinking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Vendor

Re: Suhr Modern custom - disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
What was I thinking.
That the grass was greener?

Those are not file marks IMO, too far away from the frets. Looks like soft spots in the rosewood as they were rolling the edge and ended up with a sloppy job. There are tricks to keep it clean when dealing with soft spots, not used there though.

Actually, the first 2 just look like dents.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM

Those dents seem to be at same distance from frets, could that be from fretwork? And 6th string seems to be too close to edge of fretboard?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Those are not file marks IMO, too far away from the frets. Looks like soft spots in the rosewood as they were rolling the edge and ended up with a sloppy job. There are tricks to keep it clean when dealing with soft spots, not used there though.
I've never done it on a rosewood board, only ebony, but it seemed pretty straightforward. I just scraped it with a razor blade and then cleaned it up with some steel wool. Came out exactly like I wanted. Is rosewood much harder to work with?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Yes the low E string is closer to the fretboard edge but only by a tiny amount. The neck pocket looks very tight so if I were to keep it I probably wouldn't dare adjust it. What the photos dont show are other very course file marks on the edge of the fretboard, all on the low E side, the high E side is almost perfect.

Maybe the marks at the 13th, 14th and 15th frets are indeed dents, still not good on a supposedly new guitar.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I've never done it on a rosewood board, only ebony, but it seemed pretty straightforward. I just scraped it with a razor blade and then cleaned it up with some steel wool. Came out exactly like I wanted. Is rosewood much harder to work with?
Ebony is a very consistent density and straight grain. Rosewood is not on either. Most rosewood acts the same way, then you get a piece that will dig in deep in spots. Those you just use a file sideways to widen the point of contact.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ebony is a very consistent density and straight grain. Rosewood is not on either. Most rosewood acts the same way, then you get a piece that will dig in deep in spots. Those you just use a file sideways to widen the point of contact.
That's the other way I've done it. Just use a file to round the edges over. The razor blade is just so much faster.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM

If you contact Suhr they will take care of you.

I've had like 5+ Suhrs (I think) including a super early one. All well built, solid guitars but I could never connect with them like I can my old half destroyed Jems. I'm not really even a Vai fan, but I think Steve and Ibanez really made the perfect lead guitar with the Jem.
jono and doriangrey like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Vendor

I always use a blade, even on rosewood, but the first time I feel that soft spot I switch to the file.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Makes sense. There is definitely an art to the feel of the wood under your fingers, the angle of the blade, etc. Having a fresh, sharp blade is key as well. Dull blades will chatter and can leave marks like that.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 120

I'm really surprised that this left the Suhr factory like this. They have been known to just trash parts that have any blemishes or mistakes. Definitely contact them, they'll sort it out.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Message sent to Suhr. Its such a nice player, and I cant find another one here in the UK, so I'd ideally like it 'fixed' - whether that means a replacement neck I dont know, or remove a load of wood to try and get the edge even.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Suhr owner and fanboy checking in here, and I'll quickly admit I'm surprised how rough that looks, particularly the second picture above the body joint. That's very uncharacteristic for them.

Was the guitar bought new? If so, their customer service is excellent and I suspect they'll find an appropriate way to make it right to you, including possibly a new neck/fretboard. If it's a cosmetic issue that doesn't really bug you aside from the fact it's a surprise at this pricepoint and it's an otherwise killer guitar, maybe see if they'll knock off a couple hundred bucks and toss you a t-shirt or something.

KILLER top on that one, however.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Yes, guitar was bought new, awaiting a response from Suhr. The shop has checked the rest of their Suhr modern stock and recon that they all have similar defects.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 PM

That, frankly, is shocking to me - that's hands down the worst fretboard edge I've ever seen on a Suhr, and I own two and have played a whole bunch more.

Any idea when it was built? I know Suhr almost got bought out by a private equity firm, had a deal in place, in fact, and it fell apart unexpectedly a year later and not all that long ago - I wonder if it was related to that? Longshot, I know...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode