Suhr Modern guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Suhr Modern guitar

[FONT=Verdana]Has anyone tried one of these guitars? They look fantastic. Any comments on sound & feel? Are they worth the wait and money? [/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Suhr Modern guitar

I've tried a couple. I think they're great guitars to play and sound really good. Unfortunately I think the body shape makes the Modern just about the ugliest superstrat you can get for that amount of money

You can get guitars that sound and play just as good for similar money, but Suhrs I've tried are all consistent and extremely playable guitars. they're also the "it" guitar of the moment, as PRS were a few years ago.

If you can stomach the offset body design, it'd be a great guitar to own.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Suhrs are still the best guitars i ever played. They sound and play great. Couple that with the custom features and imo you've got a winner.

However, a good Jem is fantastic too. It all depends on the sound you are looking for.

To my ears the Suhr was more versitale in sounds, especially clean.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
Couple that with the custom features and imo you've got a winner.
Almost too many features - I was checking their site and they have over a dozen different neck shapes...it's so important to be able to feel a neck shape to know if you're gonna like it so it would be hard to decide since there's no way to try out the different neck shapes. I guess I would have to try and compare the Suhr measurements with other guitars that I might be able to find in my local music store...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM

I actually love the body shape, and they're really comfortable. Too rich for my blood but incredible guitars, if money was no object I'd have one, in fact I'd have two - one with a floyd and a Guthrie Govan sig (loving the set neck, tremol-no, and blower switch). Then I think I'd die happy. If you can try a Modern do so, they're the best of many worlds in my opinion. We're lucky over here in that some shops order a few, I don't know how it works in Canada. My friend also has a Standard, it's his favourite guitar, and he's owned a few.

I tried not to like them because I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, but they're seriously nice, as good as the hype - you can tell they're made by people who care and know what they're doing, they just feel solid and oozing with quality. I've always come away drooling. Even their most 'boring' stratty strats are to die for, but the Modern was my favourite, I could see that being the 'does all' guitar. PRS left me cold (and I bought one), the Suhrs have all left me wanting one, in this case you get what you pay for.

I've played a few (Standards, Moderns, etc.) and ditto the consistency comment, they were all sublime to play. Nicely low actions, comfortable tension, easy to play, no fretting out, and I suppose 'smooth' is the word that comes to mind. I felt seriosuly at ho,e playing any of them - although god knows what the neck shapes were. Great pickups too, real dimension to the sounds.

Shame you can't try a few to nail the neck shape, but I agree, I'd always be wondering if I picked the right shape given the choice.

The Govan model is my favourite to date (but that may just be the mystique ruling my head) and the neck on that is what I'd call a medium, not even remotely as thin as an Ibanez wizard, but no baseball bat. It's elliptical too, which felt nice to me, but I'm not you. It fit well in my hand, but also felt great with my thumb behind the neck. It was plenty fast. I nearly sold my car when I played that thing, I couldn't have dreamt up a better guitar (save for perhaps, and I mean perhaps because the stock unit was great, putting a floyd on it).

See if you can try some, you never know, you might say 'Nah, not for me', but I'm betting you might get seriously wowed.

Last edited by Goldleader; 06-14-2010 at 07:12 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldleader View Post
if money was no object I'd have one, in fact I'd have two - one with a floyd and a Guthrie Govan sig (loving the set neck, tremol-no, and blower switch).
I hear ya...the Guthrie Govan sig looks amazing and has all the features that I think I could want in a guitar but the price tag is outta my ball park...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I hear ya...the Guthrie Govan sig looks amazing and has all the features that I think I could want in a guitar but the price tag is outta my ball park...
Same here. What an instrument - heartbreakingly expensive.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 PM

I can only speak as a Suhr S4 owner, that guitar was certainly worth the 5 month wait and now I'm trying to sell my JS1000 to help fund a Modern. The S4 is the most amazing guitar I've owned in 20 years.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 AM

I like that "most amazing " stuff without actually saying why.. which at the end will result in subjectives like "feel" and "tone". I have a S4 and a S5 and although nice they are not a shred more special or better quality wide than a PRS or a Jem or a USA Jackson. All the same in that price range.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Almost too many features - I was checking their site and they have over a dozen different neck shapes...it's so important to be able to feel a neck shape to know if you're gonna like it so it would be hard to decide since there's no way to try out the different neck shapes. I guess I would have to try and compare the Suhr measurements with other guitars that I might be able to find in my local music store...
It's easy mate. Just like a strat.

Do you like a C shape, D shape or V shape neck? You can try these type of necks at every music store.

Should you like a C shape, then you can decide how thick you want the neck. More of a chord player? Add some wood to your neck for better tone. Like to play more solo stuff? Then you can take a slimmer neck with a flat fingerboard radius.

You can also choose the Modern Elliptical form. A very fast and thin neck.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 AM

I had a Suhr Modern and it was an excelent guitar in all senses. Mine was very similar to Guthrie Govan's and played great.

I only sold it to help paying a vintage LP
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM

The allure of Suhr for me is the Modern carved top. There's a much-praised combo of a maple top and basswood back that sounds awesome. The carved top Modern lets you get a nice thick 3/4 maple cap.

Now if I could only get $5000 and some place within an hour's drive that actually takes custom orders...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM

I tried a Suhr for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and while it's a really cool guitar and I liked almost everything about it, I can't stomach the $3000 dollar price tag. For a good chunk less than that price, a luthier can build you something of even finer quality (comparing my customs to the Suhr, anyway) that's exactly as you like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode