Is Super Wizard (17mm) prone to warping? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Is Super Wizard (17mm) prone to warping?

Hi guys, I am new here.

Is it true that the thinness of the Super Wizard neck (17mm) makes it prone to twisting? ( I meant 'twisting' on the title) If so:

1. How long should we expect before the warping creeps in?
2. What would be the proper way to store the guitar? In the case the whole time or on a stand?

Thanks before for your helpful info.

Last edited by Johann; 02-14-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Improper term
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:35 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Is Super Wizard (17mm) prone to warping?

No, they are not prone to twisting at all.

The only thing Wizard necks are known for is what Rich has termed "scarf shrinkage". Virtually every one of the original wizard necks I've had ('88-'94) have had it. What happens is that the neck goes into a slight backbow directly over the scarf joint. This causes the 1st and often 2nd fret to drop slightly lower than the rest of the board. I've never seen it go more than .5mm.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
No, they are not prone to twisting at all.

The only thing Wizard necks are known for is what Rich has termed "scarf shrinkage". Virtually every one of the original wizard necks I've had ('88-'94) have had it. What happens is that the neck goes into a slight backbow directly over the scarf joint. This causes the 1st and often 2nd fret to drop slightly lower than the rest of the board. I've never seen it go more than .5mm.
Does it only apply to 80-90s necks? Or to newer, modern necks as well?
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 AM

I haven't seen it on newer necks. Rich could answer that question better than me. I've only had a couple post '02 MIJ RG's.

FWIW, I've never seen it on a super wizard. ('97-'02)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I haven't seen it on newer necks. Rich could answer that question better than me. I've only had a couple post '02 MIJ RG's.

FWIW, I've never seen it on a super wizard. ('97-'02)
I was referring to the Super Wizard HP (17mm 1st, 19mm 12th) on today's models. Don't know if there are any other Super Wizard or whether there have been changes over the past decades.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:03 AM

There were original super wizards before today's super wizard prestige necks, like RGT mentioned. Today's models have the 5-piece necks which are even less prone to any warping. I wouldn't worry about warping if you're looking to buy one. Depends where you're storing it. If temperature and/or humidity can change I'd store it in a case. If temperature and humidity are consistent then I wouldn't worry, stand or hanging should be fine.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM

And if itīs a Super Wizard HP it probably have titanium rods besides the 5 pieces maple/walnut.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:32 PM

From both what I've seen on the internet, and my own guitars:
Super Wizard HP/Super Wizard Prestige (but not Super Wizard HP Prestige) necks are [email protected], [email protected], don't have the titanium rods and are on the 2009 RG3xxx and S5xxx series, and the 2014-onwards RG6xx series.
Super Wizard HP Prestige necks are the same dimensions but have the KTS titanium rods added and are on the 2010-2013 RG3xxx series and the 2010-onwards S5xxx series (including the current S5520).
Both the above necks are 5 piece maple/walnut.

Just to add: my RG3570 is a 2009 model and doesn't have the titanium rods, but it's still an incredibly rigid neck and doesn't feel any less stiff than my 2011 S5470 which does have the titanium rods.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 PM

Johann, Ibanez has gotten pretty crazy with the names of their necks over the last decade. The easiest way to deal with this in my mind is

'87-'04 MIJ, 1-3 piece necks WITH A SCARF JOINT.

'05-present MIJ, 5-piece Maple/Walnut or Maple/Wenge. NO scarf joint. The wood in these necks go from the heel to the tip of the head in solid pieces. I think all of these necks have a volute. Most have top mount nuts, but not all. Some necks have KTS rods......I haven't seen any evidence that the KTS is needed. These necks stay true.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info. Yeah I forgot the Super Wizard consists of 5 pieces, which make it more stable.

I am also aware that those with KTS are probably the most stable cause someone who had an RG3550 claimed that he needed not ever to tweak the truss rod thanks to the titanium rod.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
I am also aware that those with KTS are probably the most stable cause someone who had an RG3550 claimed that he needed not ever to tweak the truss rod thanks to the titanium rod.
+1 on that: never had to adjust the truss rod on my KTS equipped S series
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 03:50 AM

The neck on my 777VDY is actually 15mm at the first fret and after all these years it is still straight and true. Maybe less guitar producers are more prone to neck warping?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma View Post
The neck on my 777VDY is actually 15mm at the first fret and after all these years it is still straight and true. Maybe less guitar producers are more prone to neck warping?
That must be one truly beautiful neck

Wizard necks have been quartersawn from either the start or from the very early years of production, this makes the neck both stiffer and more stable. Also the double-acting truss rod helps stop necks from warping too, as it distributes tension evenly over the whole neck.

I'm amazed that after all these years Fender and Gibson still use the traditional single acting truss rod on almost all (maybe even all) of their models. I could never get the relief set exactly right on my Epi LP and I suspect the truss rod design had something to do with it
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Vendor

It is uncommon to find a quartersawn neck on any old Ibanez and they are and have never been double acting truss rods.

Premiums have double acting rods.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It is uncommon to find a quartersawn neck on any old Ibanez and they are and have never been double acting truss rods.

Premiums have double acting rods.
They're quarter sawn of you turn them on their sides....LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode