Super Wizard 3 piece vs 5 piece - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Super Wizard 3 piece vs 5 piece

What are the differences between the 3 piece vs the 5 piece super wizards? Is one better than the other? Can they be used interchangably?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Super Wizard 3 piece vs 5 piece

They feel almost the same to me. The 5 piece supposedly prevents warping but so far, none of my super wizards have warped really badly.

The screw holes alight but take note that one has 56mm while the other has 58mm heel.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM

Reviews: 2

I haven't found either one to be stronger/more stable. The 5 piece does not have a scarf joint which is the one possible weak link in the 1 and 3 piece necks. Some of the 5-piece necks also have a volute which some people like (myself included).

I think that, in general, folks here prefer the one piece original Wizards followed closely by the 3-piece Super Wizards, but there's no concrete reasons why. The older one piece neck's are more prone to twisting, but you'll find a lot of people here, when given a choice, wouldn't want to play on anything else.

If this is for your 2570, I personally would be looking for a '97-'02 Super Wizard. They are EXCELLENT necks, and can usually be found for a decent price.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
faekildare The screw holes alight but take note that one has 56mm while the other has 58mm heel.
Does that make the smaller one loose or the bigger one too tight?

Quote:
RGTFanatic If this is for your 2570, I personally would be looking for a '97-'02 Super Wizard. They are EXCELLENT necks, and can usually be found for a decent price.
It is for the 2570. And I will take your recomendation on that. But it seems only a very few come up on ebay. Is there another place I should be looking as well?

I'm trying to figure my options in case the '97-'02 Super Wizard can't be found. Or if I see one that looks good but I'm not entirely sure of the year it was made. Is the '97-'02 the 3 piece or the 5 piece neck?

And what's a scarf joint? Or a valute? I'm still trying to figure this out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM

surely the scarf joint would be the strong point?! arent people saying nowadays that glue is stronger than the wood itself?!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWolfJohnson View Post
Does that make the smaller one loose or the bigger one too tight?
depends what the width of the neck pocket on the body you want to put it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWolfJohnson View Post
And what's a scarf joint? Or a valute? I'm still trying to figure this out.
a scarf joint is a connection point on the neck where two pieces of wood connect interconnect and are glued together. a volute is a bump where the headstock meets the back of the neck on the opposite side of the nut.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 2

This is the scarf joint on a Super Wizard:

This is a volute on a 5-piece Wizard Prestige:

There have been instances where the scarf joint has "shrunken" and caused backbow from the nut to the 3rd fret. this would make setting neck relief a pain in the butt. AFAIK, the shrinkage has only occurred on one piece necks though, I think it's the reason the 3-piece Super Wizard was created.

@rickybaby- Your right...the joint IS stronger and pretty much unbreakable. I don't fully understand how the joint shrinks.......so I'll leave that part to someone else.

@MuddyWolf- I think your best bet is to find a complete '97-2001 RG5xx to steal a neck from. Selling EVERY other part from the guitar will get most,if not all, of your money back....... it's a WAY cheaper route than buying a neck alone. RG570's almost always sell between $300-$400.......RG520's are usually less than that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

@ RGT Thanks again for the info. That's certainly a good plan and maybe the one I'll end up going with. On the other hand someone recently got a mint condition super wizard neck on ebay for $219 including the tuners, locking nut, truss rod cover, and string retainer bar. So I'm not ruling that out as an alternative.

Tags
super wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode