The Super Wizard Neck ??? - is this the neck on my USA Custo - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:10 PM

The Super Wizard Neck ???

I don't think the volutes started popping up till the J Customs. It sounds like you have the Ultra neck, spiro. Same dimensions as the Wizard 2, which, btw, is the same thickness as a JEM neck, but has a rounder radius. The JEM and the Wizard both have the same radius, but the Wizard is the thinnest of them all. There is one exception to the Wizards being on the 5xx and up. The 570 CT, which happens to have the Wizard 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 04:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Quote: from Jimi D on 9:16 am on Dec. 24, 2000
My USA Custom definitely has a Wizard Neck Profile - comparison with my JEM leaves no doubt. However, with binding, offset dot inlay and a poly finish, it's not exactly a typical Wizard neck. Also, though the headstock clearly says "USA Custom" the serial number is "F135656", which suggests Fujigen Gakki. And this neck looks identical to the "Super Wizard" neck on the RG1200 on the Ibanez Japan site...

Does anyone know if the USA guitars were fully constructed here? or were some or all of the parts (like the necks) made in Japan and shipped to the US for assembly? Either way, it's a wonderful guitar, and I'm getting on fine with the neck despite my earlier misgivings about the super-thin Wizard profile...
*OK, I'm soon putting up a USA Custom "history" and "spec sheet". It might be up this week in fact.

The USRGs were made by PBC Guitars in PA, USA for Ibanez, featuring the tension-free neck. The other " USA Customs" were made by the Ibanez Custom Shop and/or outside luthiers (much like the USRG was). This includes the Graphic Series, USA Custom Exotic Woods, American Masters, etc over several years.

You'll see the full specs for these models, with neck dimensions where available. It's not so cut and dry when you figure out the lot of them were built by several factories/luthiers. Forget what the neck plate and serial numbers say. Stay tuned... glen
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

yes yes yes yes YES! Facts, figures, history, specs... I love this site! I've plumbed all my Ibanez catalogs and can't find a measurement on the PBC neck anywhere! Not thickness, not width, not radius, nothin'! Jemsite's cool
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 06:07 PM

Even more mystery....

I was just visiting the best official Ibanez site...the japanese one. There i was amazed to see an RG770FM that came with, guess what?

No.

This time it's a Wizard IV neck. Yes, IV as in 4.

I shall take a smoke and try to clear my mind...

Maybe someone at ibanez should do the same.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:54 PM

okay... here is my deal with the usa customs...

my rep at Ibanez used to be a fellow named Bill Cuminsky.... My first Guitar from Ibanez was a USA Custom.....

Bill informed me that the neck was called The Ultra Neck.
It is not made anymore.... In my opinion... this neck was formed into the neck that is on the Petrucci Models...
If you do your research.... the necks are almost the same but they John did a couple of minor shape changes.....

The USA Customs with the tension free neck are also the same shape as the Ultra, but with that metal thing in the headstock *etc....

Rob
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 5

Kirk, I'm with you, the Wizard II is my fave not JEM neck also. *Very smooth thin radius, but not as skinny as the Wizard. *I like this place. *Only on jemsite would there be folks other than me who know which neck has a nicer feel to them when they vary only by 2 mm
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 12:02 AM

I have an old RG, a new RG and my USRG 30. *The neck on the USRG is not even close to a wizard IMO. *Definately not as flat and is a little more of a challange(more curve) as the neck wraps to the fingerboard.
It's almost impossible to describe but the neck feels harder. *Really. *It's not the finish because all my necks are stripped. *It seems easier for me to go from the USRG to the Wizard than the Wizard to the USRG.
I know that probably doesn't help, but I had to try.
KO
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:02 AM

Re: The Super Wizard Neck ??? - is this the neck on my USA Custo

i read somewhere the RG505 has the wizard II neck just FYI and mine too... i think lol. if so id like to know where i can find one of them

Tags
custom exotic wood , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , dot inlay , dot inlays , ibanez catalog , ibanez custom shop , ibanez neck , jem neck , maple fingerboard , neck dimensions , neck plate , offset dot inlays , petrucci model , prestige necks , prestige wizard , super wizard neck , usa custom exotic wood , viper neck , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode