The Super Wizard Neck ??? - is this the neck on my USA Custo - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

The Super Wizard Neck ??? - is this the neck on my USA Custo

My USA Custom definitely has a Wizard Neck Profile - comparison with my JEM leaves no doubt. However, with binding, offset dot inlay and a poly finish, it's not exactly a typical Wizard neck. Also, though the headstock clearly says "USA Custom" the serial number is "F135656", which suggests Fujigen Gakki. And this neck looks identical to the "Super Wizard" neck on the RG1200 on the Ibanez Japan site...

Does anyone know if the USA guitars were fully constructed here? or were some or all of the parts (like the necks) made in Japan and shipped to the US for assembly? Either way, it's a wonderful guitar, and I'm getting on fine with the neck despite my earlier misgivings about the super-thin Wizard profile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 10:25 AM

The Super Wizard Neck ???

The USA Customs were made in Japan, but put together and painted in the US.

I believe the "super wizard" neck is the overseas version of the regular wizard, and they call the wizard 2 the wizard.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Something like that - but we still call the Wizard the Wizard and the Wizard 2 the Wizard 2!!!

I "think" that we call the Wizard ones with the Bubinga reinforcement stripe "Super Wizard" *and those that are just maple, "Wizard". We also get "Prestige Wizard" on things like thr RG3120!

The Wizard and super Wizard have the same profile but the Wizard 2 (or II) is the profile that is slightly (2mm?) deeper.

(Edited by jono at 10:41 am on Dec. 24, 2000)
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 12:05 PM

JimiD, it is the standard Wizard neck.
To my knowledge, the bodies were finished here in the states and the guitars were assembled in Japan.

J>
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 12:31 PM
deleted username

Here's my simple take on the "Which Wizard Neck Do I Have" situation:

Wizard: The standard nice thin neck. *
Wizard 2: *Same as above, but with volute (the "bump" behind the nut).
Super Wizard: *Wizard neck with bubinga stripe (aka: Prestige Wizard).

Now, the above is only theory.
Although both spec sheets say "Original Wizard", my RG-ART has a volute and my RG-GEAR does not.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Well... I just came off the Ibanez USA site and my USA Custom neck LOOKS just like the one on the RG3120 Prestige model, except that the 3120's may not be bound. It's just maple (no skunk stripe - I guess it predates the bubinga strip) and no volute, so I guess it's a "Wizard". *I would prefer the deeper Wizard II or JEM profile, but I'm not having as much trouble with this profile as I originally thought I might... I guess I'm finally playing with a lighter touch

Jimm ~ I can see them finishing and assembling the USA Customs from Japanese made parts, but I can't see them finishing Japanese parts in the US, then shipping them back to Japan for manufacture, and then returning them to the States for sale: the shipping costs would be outrageous!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

ooh I *thought the "Prestige Wizard" *had a volute at the headstock?!!?? and no bubinga stripe??!?!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

And the Wizard 2's I've seen don't have a volute. This is getting curiouser and curiouser!!!!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 07:51 PM

The Prestige necks don't have the bubinga stripe. The Wizard 2 is 19 mm at the first fret and 21 or 20 mm at the 12th, like the JEM, but with a rounder radius.

The 3120 neck is not bound.

Every Prestige I've seen has had a volute. Most of the J Customs I've seen have one too.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 08:38 PM
deleted username

Not surprising, I've been corrected. *This info comes courtesy of GE Jones (former Jemsite.com Forum RG Expert):

•Wizard - Standard Wizard neck found on RG 5xx and up, with or without Bubinga stripe, with or without maple fingerboard.

•Wizard II - Neck found on RG 2xx - 4xx. *Same PROFILE as the Wizard, but same DIMENSIONS as the Jem ( a tad thicker). *To me [GE], the best Ibanez neck, period.

•"Super Wizard" - Wizard neck found on J-Custom guitars, hand-finished, different construction, same profile and dimensions as the regular Wizard. [these have the volute behind the nut]
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

So then, it's settled; 'tis a Wizard neck for certain. Feels like one, looks like one, smells like one... (oh, wait a minute... :-) *I've never seen one finished like this - the fingerboard and binding remind me of the Petrucci models. Still, it's a great neck, though a touch thinner than I usually like. Thanks to all for the great response. :biggrin:
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quote: from Kevan on 3:38 pm on Dec. 26, 2000
Not surprising, I've been corrected. *This info comes courtesy of GE Jones (former Jemsite.com Forum RG Expert):

•Wizard - Standard Wizard neck found on RG 5xx and up, with or without Bubinga stripe, with or without maple fingerboard.

•Wizard II - Neck found on RG 2xx - 4xx. *Same PROFILE as the Wizard, but same DIMENSIONS as the Jem ( a tad thicker). *To me [GE], the best Ibanez neck, period.

•"Super Wizard" - Wizard neck found on J-Custom guitars, hand-finished, different construction, same profile and dimensions as the regular Wizard. [these have the volute behind the nut]
My 1999 and 2000 catalogues note the JEM7D (and some of our european RGs) as having a super wizard neck and the ones I've seen have novolute - The only necks that I have encountered with a volute have been those "Prestige Wizard" necks found on the RG 3120. The mystery continues!!!

Maybe the definitions differ depending on which side of the atlantic you're on ?!?!?

However the I DO agree with the dimensions GE said, so that's a start
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 09:14 PM

I have a USA Custom Exotic Wood with a slightly thicker neck than the normal wizard found on the Rg 5xx and up but has no volute and no skunk stripe.... Feels more like a jem neck than anything else.....

Theres another spanner in the works.............
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Spiro ~ I was wondering what the fretboard looks like on your guitar. Dot inlay? Off set dots? Block inlay? Is it bound? Inquiring minds want to know... not that it means anything - mine has the same fretboard as the Petrucci model, and his sig guitar has a Viper neck. Rhyme? Reason? Who needs 'em?!?

(Edited by Jimi D at 9:41 pm on Jan. 1, 2001)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 09:04 PM

it has the *offset dot inlays like the petrucci....

Mine also has an Fxxxxxxxx * serial number indicating japanese Fuji Gen Gakki manufacture

go figure

Tags
custom exotic wood , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , dot inlay , dot inlays , ibanez catalog , ibanez custom shop , ibanez neck , jem neck , maple fingerboard , neck dimensions , neck plate , offset dot inlays , petrucci model , prestige necks , prestige wizard , super wizard neck , usa custom exotic wood , viper neck , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode