Superstrat Purchase Tossup - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Talking Superstrat Purchase Tossup

I am looking to sell off my old Epiphone SG G400 in order to make a purchase on a superstrat style guitar. I am willing to spend up to $1000 on a new guitar, but the cheaper the better, as long as the quality is still there. Right now I am trying to decide between these three:

1. Fender HM

2. Jackson DK2M

3. Ibanez RG550

I am mostly looking for something with a good floyd, as well as a very wide, very thin, and preferable maple board and flat back. I guess that the RG550 probably has the widest and thinest neck, but I have not been able to test these exact models (I have tryed a lot of RGs, standard strats, and newer Charvels). I will probably also have the neck either partially or fully scalloped in the future, if this makes any difference.

What are the pros or cons for each of these individual guitars? I don't play anything extremely heavy; I am looking for a very 80s lead tone, reminiscent of Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, etc. If you have any other recommendations please let me know. I feel like there are a lot of Ibanez models that I might not be aware of.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Re: Superstrat Purchase Tossup

I really like my DK2M. I am surpirsed that I like it so much, actually, as I've had "better" guitars before. But for the money they're tough to beat. Alder body (mine's 2 piece), SD pickups, and the neck look/feel is great. My biggest concern was the trem, but I can say I've put it through it's paces and have no issues with it. Now, I also like the Fender HM and LOVED my friend's 550 back in the day. They all have a different feel, though. Your best bet is (of course) to try out a few and see what works for you.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2005fsx View Post
I am looking for a very 80s lead tone, reminiscent of Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, etc. If you have any other recommendations please let me know.!
charvel san dimas style 1 or a jackson dinky will do iron maiden down to a tee! The san dimas gives off that undeniably cool 80's vibe too! Failing that a 550 all the way or on a budget, a rg350.
maidens guitars were never all that hot, mid 80's which is what most people think of with maiden they were using dinky's and in more recent years they use strats with stacked duncan single coils. Adrian also used a destroyer for a short period too. where humbuckers are used they all ad a tendancy to lean towards super distortions in both bridge and neck.

if it was my choice i'd go with the charvel, but then i'd have one myself if i had the spare dosh knocking about!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 AM

3 very nice guitars. The Ibanez takes it for me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I think I have narrowed it down to the Jackson or the HM. How do the dimensions of the neck compare between the two of these? And are HM bodies made of basswood or alder?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:29 PM

I never liked Jackson's. Something about them ticked me off, maybe it was the action being to high. The Fender HM is Japanese, right? What's the Jackson, Japanese too? Hmm, the Jackson is prone to have skinnier and flatter neck then the Fender, am i right? For an 80's tone, the Jackson does have the 2 humbuckers, while the HM's I've seen have HSS config, so the Jackson would give more of an 80's lead tone...and less humming from the pickups. They both have lic. Floyd Roses in them. All these things into consideration, I'd take the Jackson.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 PM

I'd take the Jackson. They had a cool one with a maple neck and red flame paint job. I'm not a fan of the ones with EMG's and carved tops. I'm not sure why.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Dude check out the gary kramer custom from his website. ITS AWESOME. Definitely don't go for the fender. The jackson is cool and so is the ibanez. Its a matter of opinion. But i played the hm strat and i hated it. But i do have an hss strat which i love.

Tags
fender hm , ibanez rg , jackson dk2m

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode