Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC area
Sustainer pickup question
Yes, I realize this is another Sustainer post but I looked through quite a few and didn't see these questions answered.
My basic goal is to have a guitar with a Sustainer system of some sort with standard 5-way switching - H-S-?. Ideally the '?' would be a mini-humbucker but I'm open to other options.
- FSK 401 - it comes with a bridge humbucker - I've read that the system does not work properly with any other bridge pickup. Can anyone confirm this?
- FSK 401 - assuming you can use any bridge humbucker and operate properly, is there any reason you'd need to use the volume and tone pots?
- FSK 401 and FSK 101 - does the Sustainer pickup function as a "normal" pickup when the sustain mode is off?
- FSK 101 - does it look like you could yank the dummy pickup cover off easily? If so, it'd be a cheaper way to go than the 401 and still be able to wedge a mini-humbucker next to it.
- Stealth Plus - this version works as a "normal" neck pickup. How is the tone? A comparison to a well known pickup would be handy.
- We've all heard what Steve can do with a Fernandes system. Has anyone used both the Fernandes and the Sustainiac? If so, can you compare/contrast the two systems in terms of performance?