SV5470F Prestige and Roland GK-3 pickup (?) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

SV5470F Prestige and Roland GK-3 pickup (?)

Hello everybody!
I've recently found out about the SV5470F Prestige guitar, which I'm considering for buying... but I would love as well to use it combined with my GK-3 pickup (the most recent, thinner version) by Roland...

Now, the space between the bridge and the bridge pickup seems to me quite little...

Has had anyone any experience with the combination of these two specific items?
Is that space big enough for the GK-3 or is some sort of working on the guitar required?

Thank you in advance!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Re: SV5470F Prestige and Roland GK-3 pickup (?)

Here's what I did with my rg570 (I used the gk-kit rather than the add on gk3)

There was just enough room between the pickup and the trem, after removing that side of the pickup ring.
Jim
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey there, Jim!
Thank you for your reply!

Oh, I see, on your guitar too (even if it's a different model) the space between bridge pickup and bridge is very, very little... but looks like you've been able to fit everything in there!
In my case, with the SV5470F there wouldn't be any pickup ring, so I guess it would be a little bit easier...

Thank you again!
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Here's what I did with my rg570 (I used the gk-kit rather than the add on gk3)

<picture>

There was just enough room between the pickup and the trem, after removing that side of the pickup ring.
Jim
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 1

What does the GK do, exactly?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeayearite View Post
What does the GK do, exactly?
It's a divided pickup: hence, it can send a dedicated signal for each single string to processors (both MIDI and not) so that one may achieve amazing effects.

For example, with the VG-99 (Roland as well) it becomes possible to virtually model a different guitar (for example: a Fender Stratocaster or a Martin folk guitar... or a sitar, for to mention a few), just because the pickup senses the features of a string being hit and those features can be quite precisely used for to model a string plucked on a different instrument!

^_^
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Been a while since your posts, but,....

I am also a "13 pin guy" utilizing both VG Systems, and GR/GI Systems from Roland. I own a few Prestige RG's, and have owned a few Prestige S series.

The main issue with installing a 13 pin system in an S series isn't the space between the bridge and bridge pickup or pickup ring, it's the narrow edge where you should be installing the 13 pin outlet jack. That jack can NOT be installed on the edge. I've seen it installed on the back, ( way too uncomfortable when the cable is plugged in), and I've seen a cool pro installation replacing the 1/4 inch output jack angled on the front.It just isn't an easy installation for a "DIY" guy.

If you really want the GK on an S model, I highly recommend having a pro do the install.

Either way, good luck my friend.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Don't worry, I haven't yet bought any new guitar, so your reply isn't late at all!
:-D
Instead, I want to thank you for such an in-depth reply!

No, I am not a fan of DIY... especially when involving such pricey instruments!
;-)
A visit in my favourite guitar shop is definitely needed, for to better discuss all of this stuff...

Let me thank you again for your kindness!
^_^
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
Been a while since your posts, but,....

I am also a "13 pin guy" utilizing both VG Systems, and GR/GI Systems from Roland. I own a few Prestige RG's, and have owned a few Prestige S series.

The main issue with installing a 13 pin system in an S series isn't the space between the bridge and bridge pickup or pickup ring, it's the narrow edge where you should be installing the 13 pin outlet jack. That jack can NOT be installed on the edge. I've seen it installed on the back, ( way too uncomfortable when the cable is plugged in), and I've seen a cool pro installation replacing the 1/4 inch output jack angled on the front.It just isn't an easy installation for a "DIY" guy.

If you really want the GK on an S model, I highly recommend having a pro do the install.

Either way, good luck my friend.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM

This link shows where most people install the 13 pin output on Ibanez S series.

http://richboromusic.files.wordpress...1/img_7132.jpg

Wouldn't that be painful? I'm sure eventually the expensive 13 pin cable would have a short or even worse the output jack would have one with rub bin against MY belly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman_93 View Post
This link shows where most people install the 13 pin output on Ibanez S series.

[IMAGE]

Wouldn't that be painful? I'm sure eventually the expensive 13 pin cable would have a short or even worse the output jack would have one with rub bin against MY belly.
o_O
Ouch!
That would really be painful, without a "knee" cable... but, anyway, the whole thing would be quite uncomfortable to manage!
:-\
Looks like I'll have to find another solution...

Thank you again: being able to actually see it in a picture was very illuminating!
^_^
Dan
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
pbk

Hi.

Just to let you know that I made a pickup ring adapter for my S5470 to hold the GK-3. I basically merged a ring with the dimensions of an Ibanez 4MR1J212 and a plate for the GK-3 in a single piece.

I used Google Sketchup to create the design and then generated a STL model with MeshLab. Firstcut (h**p://www_firstcut_com) charged me around 100 bucks for a part made in sandblasted 7075 aluminum which looked very nice, although I painted it with rustoleum to match the pickup ring colors of my guitar.

You can find the files at h**p://bleyer_org/files/PickupRingGK3.7z.

Cheers.

PS: Please replace the _s for .s in my links since I still don't have enough posts to submit links or images.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbk View Post
Hi.

Just to let you know that I made a pickup ring adapter for my S5470 to hold the GK-3. I basically merged a ring with the dimensions of an Ibanez 4MR1J212 and a plate for the GK-3 in a single piece.

I used Google Sketchup to create the design and then generated a STL model with MeshLab. Firstcut (h**p://www_firstcut_com) charged me around 100 bucks for a part made in sandblasted 7075 aluminum which looked very nice, although I painted it with rustoleum to match the pickup ring colors of my guitar.

You can find the files at h**p://bleyer_org/files/PickupRingGK3.7z.

Cheers.

PS: Please replace the _s for .s in my links since I still don't have enough posts to submit links or images.
Hi!
Well, I'm amazed by the solution you designed for that problem... you've been very, very creative!
Thank you for sharing the files, that's priceless too... really, to thank you is not enough!
:-)
Cheers
Dan
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 AM
pbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbergam View Post
Hi!
Well, I'm amazed by the solution you designed for that problem... you've been very, very creative!
Thank you for sharing the files, that's priceless too... really, to thank you is not enough!
:-)
Cheers
Dan
Thanks.

I also shared the model in the Google 3d warehouse.

Cheers!

Tags
sv5470f roland gk3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode