Swirling for the first time :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Swirling for the first time :)

After discovering Magic Marble Paint on youtube about a year or so ago, I've always wanted to try it. Nobody who stocked it overseas was willing to send it to Australia or send it at a reasonable postage price (one place wanted $60 US to send 1 bottle here), so I've just been waiting.

About 2 weeks ago, I finally found someone here in OZ that stocks it and ordered it straight away.

I did some testing today and here are the results so far.

I first used a few pieces of scrap wood to test the colours and technique. Worked and looks pretty good.

So I then gave an old Fender Squire body that I had here (prepped white a week ago) a shot and here is the results.

It kind of faded out a little towards to top of the body, but I kind of like it. The back is quite faded too, but I dont really care to much...

I'm going to try a Green/Black swirl tomorrow on another old ****ty body (already prepped with green base coat) that I have here and see how that goes.

This paint is so easy to use. I love it. I'm going to swirl everything now...

I just need to workout what clear to use on it. Anybody got any tips????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 AM

Re: Swirling for the first time :)

Looks amazing. But I think that you have natural talent for it. It is not just type of colours. Swirls are very interesting.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 PM

I love these paints. I have 2 guitars that I've done with them and I have at least 2 more I will do. For the clear I used the 2k clear that is very popular on this site and I would highly recommend it. I tried krylon or some other rattle can clear and it did not adhere to the paint. As for the fading just use a lot of the marble magic and it should combat that.

Those swirls look great too.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:22 PM

That looks amazing for a swirl newbie, my first swirls were far far FAAAAAAAAAAR worse.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. This is fun stuff to use. I did the green body today but it didn't turn out as good (not that the first one was great) but for reason, the paint acted a little different today. It was a little cooler here than what it was yesterday, so maybe that might of been the problem. I used the same water as I did yesterday which I only used once for the guitar dip (I used a small bucket for the wood samples) and the water was still very clean, but when I put the paint in today, it didn't spread as well as it did yesterday... Again, like an idiot, I didn't use enough paint and only half the guitar swirled, but like I said, I'm still experimenting with this stuff and this is the second one I've done. Apparently you can wipe it down with Turps or meth spirits (I cant remember which atm) and the paint comes off quite easy and I can do it again. Thats what I'll do with the green one and try again though the week.

The swirl at the bottom of the front of the body looks kind of cool. If the whole body looked like that I'd be really happy. Maybe next dip.

Thanks for the tip kRoG570. The 2k clear seem to be the way to go. I did find a post somewhere last night where a dude used Rustoleum clear on a couple Ukes he swirled with good results and I have some of that here so I'll try that first on the test wood scraps that I did. Hopefully that works as the 2k clear cans start at around $35 a can here and once activated, has a small shelf life, but if I need to get it I will.

If I can work this out so it looks really cool, I'm going to buy a Jem replacement body and do a custom Jem project. I'll get a neck made with either the Tree of Life inlays or the disappearing Pyramid inlays matching the colors I use on the body.

Thanks again guys.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:54 AM

Nice work Dutchie!

Im not if this helps you in any way, but I have seen somewhere that when using black paint in the swirl, that you should lay that first before anything else. As black paint in thinner than the rest.
You might already be doing it like that, so apologies if thats old news...

Keep it up anyway. I look forward to seeing you evolve!

Raven
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM

you don't have to use white as your base color.... if you use one of your other colors you will get a different result. i used black primer.... then all of the metallic colors seemed to adhere to it even when spread thin on the water.... i used testors paint with the borax...

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM

I didn't have much luck reusing water. It never acted the same as fresh water. Temperature does play a part and I wish I could tell you what the sweet spot is but I don't know. I do know for sure not to do it in direct sunlight or with warm water because the paints will skin over quickly.

Last edited by kRoG570; 11-03-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 AM

the water temp i used was 78 degrees ish.... and i did it indoors...

the hair dryer was not enough power to blow off all the water. wish my air compressor was working.... but i did get some cool streaking effect at a couple of spots....

i did not re use the water either....

i tried to use what i had easy access to since it was an experiment.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

So, a while back I sprayed some Rustoluem clear on the guitar and screwed it up. I'm not used to Rustoleum paint (it a bit thinker than the Dupliclor that I usually use) and got runs everywhere, so I kind of let it sit a while as I lost interest. A few weeks ago I decided to rub it back and re spray it. I used a yellow base coat this time. I dipped it again today and this is how it turned out....

Its still not perfect, but I like it and will keep it (providing I dont screw up the clear again). I used more of the MM paint than last time but obviously still not enough as there is still a bit of fade out towards the top of the body. I'll let it dry for about a week (I think it only really needs a day or two) and then I'll shoot clear on it and see what happens. If all goes well, I'll do my Jem Jr a white/black swirl next.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:56 AM

Great work OP, beautiful definition on the swirls. Notwithstanding it's the first few attempts - You're good :-)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:27 PM

That looks great !
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Reviews: 13

Cool stuff!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 AM

My second attempt. Still not satisfied. (Preparing for third attempt.)

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 4

I still kind it a bit crazy this crowd doesn't have this down to a science yet!

That black primer one looks pretty great, though. More pics, please?

Tags
magic marble paint , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode