Swiss cheese mod? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Swiss cheese mod?

Hey, I have this low end RG that I'm not very impressed with and I want to modify it so it will look and sound better. It is fitted with Infinity or whatever pickups that I think I will swap to PAF pros. Two questions: It is fitted with an Edge 3. Will I be able to replace this with something better (Lo-pro or Edge Pro)?

2nd question: While checking out the old Despagni and performance Jems (Around the time of Eat 'em and Smile) I came across that wacky guitar filled with holes. Do you think it would be possible to do this to a basswood RG with out stuffing things up tone wise to bad? If not possible, I'm gonna turn it into a shocking pink RG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Re: Swiss cheese mod?

Just be sure to drill a few in the headstock so it isn't neck heavy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 PM

taking all that wood out is going to kill the tone of the guitar..

my 2 cents..
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:38 AM

And drilling the headstock, will make it weak and prompt to brakeage.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Well I wasn't exactly planning on doing that, I believe that was intended as a joke? So how do you think it would work on Steve's axe? maybe there is someway to make it work, and if there is, then I'm doing it. I might just try it anyway, as I said it is a low end RG and didn't cost me that much to buy (as a project guitar) so there isn't much risk in screwing it up too bad.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 AM

If your gonna do it, you gonna need the sealer. You gotta seal the inside of each hole, and then cap the holes with glass. You then must fill the holes with water, and put a goldfish in each one.

That's pretty much the most metal thing I can think of.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 01:57 AM

Oh btw Edge III is not direct swapable with Edge/Lo Pro, it'll need some routing.

OFR is a bit easier to fit in the Edge3 cavity I believe, requires a little less work.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist View Post
If your gonna do it, you gonna need the sealer. You gotta seal the inside of each hole, and then cap the holes with glass. You then must fill the holes with water, and put a goldfish in each one.

That's pretty much the most metal thing I can think of.
It'll be even more metal after a few days when all the fish die of starvation to the sound of Slayer.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataGuitarist View Post
Oh btw Edge III is not direct swapable with Edge/Lo Pro, it'll need some routing.

OFR is a bit easier to fit in the Edge3 cavity I believe, requires a little less work.
I think I might not bother with the trem. I think I'm just gonna block it instead.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozTheK View Post
Hey, I have this low end RG that I'm not very impressed with and I want to modify it so it will look and sound better. It is fitted with Infinity or whatever pickups that I think I will swap to PAF pros. Two questions: It is fitted with an Edge 3. Will I be able to replace this with something better (Lo-pro or Edge Pro)?

2nd question: While checking out the old Despagni and performance Jems (Around the time of Eat 'em and Smile) I came across that wacky guitar filled with holes. Do you think it would be possible to do this to a basswood RG with out stuffing things up tone wise to bad? If not possible, I'm gonna turn it into a shocking pink RG.
Just get the swiss cheese Bumblefoot sig. from Vigier .

Regards

Andrť

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Nah that thing looks ugly IMO. So do you think the filler idea would work (drill holes then seal them with clear filler)? Maybe I should try this on an even cheaper guitar...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:49 AM

Burnt finish tbh

Tags
paf pro , paf pros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode