Switching between different scale length guitars. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Switching between different scale length guitars.

I'm having a hell of a time switching between my Jems and a shorter scale length (24.75") Hamer Artist that I recently acquired. It just doesn't feel right and I'm having trouble just playing it well. Everything seems scrunched up. Do any of you guys have any experiences switching from Jems to smaller scale guitars? Does it ever get any better? I couldn't possibly gig with it now.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I can't do the switch thing easily either But I'm not one for looking where I'm going, I kinda let my fingers decide how far away the note they're after is, unfortunately they only know their way around a 25.5" neck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:38 AM

I regularly switch between my JEMs/J Customs & my Strat, PRS, and JS models. I have no problems at all, but I think it just comes down to doing it for years. It's all in what you're used to. Spend equal time on both guitars, and I'm sure it'll get much easiers over time.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 10:56 AM

I switch between my 25.5" RG421, my 25.1" SC420, and my ??" scale 12 string acoustic all the time, and it really doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could bother some people.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'm like Jono - I seldom look down at the guitar as my fingers seem to know where and how far to go - this is of course subject to how many beers I've had prior to playing
I suppose if you switch back and forth equally it would get more comfortable over time, it's just that moving from a Jem to a 24.75" profile seems really strange. I have a much much easier transition switching between neck thick/thiness i.e. DBK to VWH to Strat. As for moving to an acoustic, what's that?
Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 07:14 PM

I don't get that bothered by the difference in the scale/length between my Jem and my Les Paul, but the difference in string bending and vibrato as a result of trem vs. no trem takes me a while to get the hang of. After playing my Jem I have to be very careful not to bend every note sharp on my LP and my vibrato sounds like Steve Lukather after too much coffee.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 03:24 PM

I had been playing a Fender Strat for 3 years before I bought my first Gibson, a Flying V. Although the Gibson was easier to bend on, the change in scale length took a while getting used to.

20 years later, I still only own 1 Gibson - a Les Paul. The transition from my 25.5" guitars to the 24.75" is no problem now though.

Wow.....that was my 200th post. Now I'm Bicentpostal!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I regularly switch between my JEMs/J Customs & my Strat, PRS, and JS models.
My understanding was that these were all 25.5" guitars... Actually, the prs might be a tad shorter, but we're talking a slight difference... I think that'd be too slight to really feel.

now, someone switching between an ibanez 27" scale and a gibson 24 3/4", now THAT would be a rough transistion.

-Drew
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:03 PM

i am strange - i actually enjoy switching between my 25.5" guitars to a 24.75" one & back to the former. it's like i suddenly play better upon switching. the reason why i play more than one guitar at any one time

Tags
fender strat , les paul , steve lukather , string acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode