sympathetic vibrations - ...in the bridge springs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

sympathetic vibrations - ...in the bridge springs?

This isn't really a topic that's confoned to non-universe 7-strings, as i have this problem with my strat, too (no sarcastic comments about how you're suprised i can notice something this minor on a guitar that has so many other problems, please- i rather like my strat, a '97 am. standard). That said...

I've noticed that when i'm playing stacatto power-chord riffs on the bridge pickup of my RG-7620, whenever i abruptly bite off the chord i'm playing and deaden the strings completely, the springs in the trem cavity will vibrate sypmathetically with the strings and continue to "ring" after the strings themselves have stopped vibrating. This probably happens on every pickup position (in fact i'm sure it does), but when i'm playing the bridge humbucker through the distortion channel of my amp, the pickup is able to pick up these vibrations.

So what i was wondering is, is there any kind of mod i can make to stop this from happening? The simplest thing i could think of would be to tie a little strip of cloth around each spring to "deaden" the vibrations there, but i would be afraid that something like that would interfere with the whammy bar returning to position properly. Is there any way to shield the cavity better to keep the pickups from amplifying this? or do i just have to bear with it or buy a noise gate if i want this to stop? This is something ive noticed on every stock guitar i've played with a vibrato bridge that i find a little irritating, and i was just wodnering if there's anything i can do about it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2001, 09:31 PM
Vendor

sympathetic vibrations

Remedies are as varied as you can think up. A piece of foam under the plate, a sock, to cotton balls under the springs, watever you decide on will probably work fine as long as it can't keep the springs from closing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 07:14 AM

sympathetic vibrations

Rich is pretty much right on the money.

I tear up some cotton balls and put'em between the springs. You don't want it pressing too tightly against the springs or it can inhibit the trem returning to pitch after you use it.

I also usually put something in the strings above the lock nut. I can hear those ring as well when I play very choppy start/stop rythems.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 04:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
sympathetic vibrations

duplicate post here.
http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....&topic=936

CLOSED

(Edited by jemsite at 4:04 pm on Nov. 20, 2001)
Closed Thread

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , lock nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode