Talman Prestige question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By jemsite
  • 1 Post By jemsite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Talman Prestige question

Love my Ibanez axes, but lately I've had a need for a good "clean" guitar and have been looking at the Talman Prestige models... Kind of like the s-s-s model, but not too sure about the ITL-PRO tremolo bridge and can't find one locally to try out. Anyone have any experience with them? Never been big on the tele style bridges.

The other question is about the neck. They call it a "comfortable, familiar-feeling, C-shaped neck", which I like, but also list the nut width as 1.6"? Is that right? I tried to play a little Squire Bullet strat a while back and the nut is real narrow, 1.65" according to the specs, and it was hard to keep my chords clean without my skinny fingers touching other strings.

Does anyone have access to a Talman Prestige model that could measure the nut width?

I've never owned a "prestige" level Ibanez and maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree by looking at them, but they are priced pretty good for a quality instrument. Trying to stick with my favorite brand, but may have to just bite the bullet and look for an old Roadstar with s-s-s and no tremolo.

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Talman Prestige question

Very comfortable, slightly thicker than the JS with a narrower nut so very playable. I know some get hung up on narrow width nuts, these don't bother me.

Dimensions here are correct
Electric Guitar Talman - TM1730M Prestige | Ibanez guitars

I'll probably be pulling the trigger on a Talman Prestige closeout. The trem wouldn't be used nor is it an issue. I prefer the 3 humbuckers over the tele config myself but prefer a hardtail.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info... I like the JS neck, and love the old Roadstar necks. The neck looks like an old Roadstar, with a rounder shape and that dark stripe up the back. Thanks for the link... I'll compare the numbers to my JS and Roadstar tonight.

I also would prefer a hardtail, but just never was too fond of the tele style bridge. I suppose one could block that trem if it caused any trouble.

The SD 5-2 pickups sound intriguing... aren't they true single coils?

I'd sure like to try one out... Maybe a trip to KC is in order. The alternative is buy a nice older Roadstar with s-s-s, a Strat, or a G&L USA Legacy.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

true singles but quiet.
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

The specs on the Talman Prestige nut width matches the Bullet strat at 41mm. Well, I tried to suck it up and just play the Bullet strat last night and ignore the narrow string spacing at the nut... its a big "nope". E to e spacing is 32mm and just too narrow, while on my Roadstar neck the E to e spacing is only 35mm. Doesn't seem like 3mm would make that big of a difference when spread across all 6 strings, but for me it sure seems to. I'd still like to play a Talman Prestige, because the nut width may be the same, but the string slots could be cut wider at the top of the neck where you don't need as much extra spacing to keep the string from sliding of the end of the fret... not as much as you would need in the middle of the neck anyway. We'll see... but for now the search continues locally for a good Roadstar neck to bolt on the Bullet strat body.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:21 AM
site founder 0% owner

You'd probably adapt after a short while & could certainly have a custom nut installed. But no sense jamming a square peg into a round hole right? Good luck.
FireEagle likes this.

Tags
talman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode