Taming brand new SV5470F-DSB - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Cool Taming brand new SV5470F-DSB

A week ago I bought new SV5470 Prestige beauty. It was not random choice - I've spend several month to choose proper one. I had clear prerequisites for the new guitar and this one fit exactly but for the electronics.
The electronics is total crap. I can't figure out how on such an axe coud be installed electronic noisier than strat with week tones and totally unbalanced in all 5x2 positions. I'm quite disappointed for I've expected much better.
I've spent two evenings to make mechanic setup tremolo, neck relief, intonation, action, etc, and got to electronics.
First I've thought that something wrong with wiring. I've struggled hard. I've found original wiring diagram and checked everything. It was flawless, no any mistakes. I've made star grounding no success. So I came into opinion that it is design error coil-tapped buckers are run over the shielding ground inside PUs.
So I've got rid of all stock electronics and pickups and installed set of Seymour Duncan LiveWires (LW-MUST) I owned and a stub for the middle single, and became totally happy at last she got her voice. Her sounding is very good, all notes are clear and readable. As magnet pull became very much lower because of low pull of active PUs and absence of magnet in the middle PU the sustain increased greatly.
As resume I can say that I'm quite satisfied with this model in all aspects, except for electronics. Announced versatility turns out as bad thing which gives you 10 tones which are all crap. I'd not recommend to buy this model unless one has experience to get her tamed.
Could someone recommend better PUs choice or recommend some middle single which will fit into LW active set? As reference - active set uses 100k pots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Re: Taming brand new SV5470F-DSB

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...wire_classi_1/

Thats the only livewire single coil.

Also, the noisy electronics are more likely to be the result of the dimarzio pickups having the coils wound differently.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I'll give a try.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 AM

the best thing one can do to an S series guitars is rip the damn middle coil out and just leave it that way. who ever needs that pickup, anyway?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowYaw View Post
the best thing one can do to an S series guitars is rip the damn middle coil out and just leave it that way. who ever needs that pickup, anyway?
*raises hand*

I used it all the time. And it doesnt get in the way of your picking if you can actually play properly.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Did anyone tried LiveWires with 500k pots? I'm just wonder if it'll widen tone response, how it does on passive PUs, but unsure, for there was no clear answer on the seymour's forum.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kolundin View Post
Did anyone tried LiveWires with 500k pots? I'm just wonder if it'll widen tone response, how it does on passive PUs, but unsure, for there was no clear answer on the seymour's forum.
It doesn't widen the response, it allows less treble to bleed straight to ground - BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT.

Nasty, trust me... Those pickups don't need any encouragment...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Reviews: 9

Oh and the middle pickup thing - I use mine for cleans. I gotta have my clean channel pretty loud but I think it sounds great. I use it for stratty overdrive sounds too.

Love my middle pickup : )
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Pics? Please?

It's a shame not to show such an awesome guitar!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

No prob! Just taken few shots by your request Please take a look here - http :// picasaweb.google.ru/kolundin/IbanezSV5470FDSB
Please note spaces in url - I'm not allowed to post links here yet
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM

My god, that's pretty!

What's the guitar next to the strat? SZ?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Kolundin View Post
No prob! Just taken few shots by your request Please take a look here - http :// picasaweb.google.ru/kolundin/IbanezSV5470FDSB
Please note spaces in url - I'm not allowed to post links here yet
Congrats again! She's a beauty!!!!

If I ever get an S series guitar, it'll be this one!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!

Tags
s5470 , sv5470 , sv5470f-dsb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode