Team-J Prestige RG1570 VS. '90 540sfm; painful dilemma, need expert advice!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Team-J Prestige RG1570 VS. '90 540sfm; painful dilemma, need expert advice!!!

OK: I own a georgous '90 540sfm (obviously MIJ), HOWEVER, I stumbled across a absolutly mint TeamJ RG1570 Prestige. Realitively noob-ish (you can prob tell by my awkward model/feature descriptions), so I am baffled. On the one hand, I really like my 540, and it's historic/vintage aspects, but that RG plays like a mutha', and it's a great deal (based on what I've read here and Ebay).
10 years from now, which one will I be kicking myself for not keeping more?
PS Time is of the essence, there's another buyer lurking if I faulter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM

Re: Team-J Prestige RG1570 VS. '90 540sfm; painful dilemma, need expert advice!!!

I'll say take the 1570, history and sentiment aside, i've played a few prestiges and 550, 770 750 etc. , id just say that prestige line plays better (main factor would be the age of the guitar itself most of the time) but thats what u want in guitars, playability. my 2 cents..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM

Re: Team-J Prestige RG1570 VS. '90 540sfm; painful dilemma, need expert advice!!!

For me, I like both. I have a new prestige (rg2550Z GW, rolled off the line in 2012) and an old used 550 and 560. Personally, I like both for different reasons (forget about the vintage factor).

I like the overall playability of the old school Ibanez more. The old Edge and Lo pro bridges are awesome. I rarely need to tune them. Even if I do lots of bending they just hold their tuning better. Also, I like the overly lacquered necks. they just feel smoother than the newer, lighter top coat.

However, that doesn't mean the new stuff is bad either.

I have an RG1550 and a 2550, both play amazing. I tend to favor the 2550 only because it's in Eb tuning and that's the sound I like most, but my main standard tuning axe is my 1550. The 2550s neck feels a lot smoother than the 1550's so it plays faster, and near as fast as my old 550/560s. The 5 piece maple/walnut neck is REALLY sturdy.

Another thing I like about the prestiges is how "new" they are. Basically, the 1550 had been sitting in the guitar shop for some time, probably played a few times by some people but I am the first owner. Only people who work at Hoshino actually touched my 2550 (I got it direct from their warehouse as it was stocked there).

There are positives and negatives to both, but if it was me, I'd keep the 540. Old 540s aren't as easy to come by as RGs (although I don't really know the current US market) and old 540s, if in really good condition can fetch a lot of money later down the road.

Tags
rg1570 prestige , team j , team j craft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode