Tele questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Tele questions

The situation: I WANT a Telecaster... I tried trading around but no dice...so now I'm going to build one. Right now I have a line on an alder body that is already finished and I had planned on mating it with the neck from a Yamaha RGZ I never finished refinishing. That leaved the hardware and pickguard. What I want to know from people who know Telecasters, Is there any way I can put a hum cancelling pickup in the bridge and still get a Tele-esque sound? I have seen some Duncans/Fralins/Bardens that look good, but I have no idea how they sound and wanted to know some opinions.
I will probably eventually get a neck from Warmoth, so I can finish my Yamaha, so I'm planning on this being a pretty good guitar when I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 08:40 AM

I have part from Warmoth and elsewhere to put together a nice natural ash tele. From my research, Bill Lawrence are the way to go for for traditional Fender tone, yet noiseless...they're reasonably priced, too. Dimarzio and SD make similar pups as well.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

I'll let you know first had as soon as I get around to putting this thing together. All the best with your project.
Greg
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I'm another one who adores the simple Tele. I don't have one right now, but a friend of mine plays one in his band Four Star Mary and gets some AMAZING tones out of it. Everytime I go see them play when they tour over here I get pangs for days.

Ironically apart from swapping the bridge itself for a vintage style one, I believe he's kept the original single coil pickups! I don't notice the hum but since you're buying pickups especially for a project Tele, maybe you're right to look for a humcancelling design.

As far as tone goes, I've heard good stuff about Tom Anderson's pickups too for his Classic T guitars, but I don't know if they're hum cancelling or not.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 06:43 PM

I guess I'm old fashioned. Since the Tele is, IMHO, timeless - it can't really be improved upon without taking away from its "Tele-ness". Therefore, when I'm looking for a Tele, I *want* one that hums like a $10 hooker. It's a huge part of the entire Tele "thang".

If you're still hooked on a 'bucker, try one of Warmoth's "Twangbuckers"...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I guess I'm old fashioned. Since the Tele is, IMHO, timeless - it can't really be improved upon without taking away from its "Tele-ness". Therefore, when I'm looking for a Tele, I *want* one that hums like a $10 hooker. It's a huge part of the entire Tele "thang".
What? $10 hookers hum? I really need to move up from the $5 hookers and get these great perks!
Anyways...I am still looking into the pickups...but I have already got the transparent "medium" blue body and a Tortoise shell pkgd....So I'm about 1/3 of the way there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 05:04 PM

Well of course they do. I'm not paying $10 for run-of-the-mill. Sheesh.

Twangbuckers seem nifty since they're angled. This allows for a more "Tele-esque" sound, while being humcancelling. Problem is, you need a special bridge and rout.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 01:02 AM

Man, I've been craving an early '90s TelePlus for months now. It's really really strange. They're rare as heck, but sound SO sweet. Fender Lace pickups in S-H config.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 01:04 AM

I hear you man, I've been wanting a '52 reissue like nobody's business.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Now, are you guys talking about the ones with the Hb at the neck or in the bridge?

Tags
alder body , coil pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode