Tell Me about your Petrucci 7 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Tell Me about your Petrucci 7

Anyone here have an EB MM Petrucci 7 string?
I am in the market for a good 7 string soon and I am seriously considering a Petrucci.
I had a Universe and a 7620, and I liked both, (well I loved the UV) but I don't want something with a floating trem.
I was also considering a Carvin, I hear good things from forums, but bad things from friends who have first hand experience with multiple Carvins.
Anyway anything anyone can tell me about their Petrucci or if anyone can compare/contrast it with a UV I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Also I wouldn't mind other 7 string suggestions but I am not looking for anything Korean (Schecter, 7321, etc) or entry level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:37 PM

Re: Tell Me about your Petrucci 7

How about a UV7 BK? i can't decide between taht or the JEM 7V.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Nah, not looking to go the Ibanez route at all. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but I'm interested in adding something completely new to me to the collection.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Schecter USA 7's are awesome guitars and can be had relatively cheap. Unique guitars, great wood quality and craftsmanship. Check them out.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 PM

I have a EBMM JP7 and I really like it. The neck is really quite spectacular and the build quality looks really clean. Overall it feels like a really solid guitar that can take abuse and be extremely reliable. I also have a UV777BK and I have to say that I like the Ibanez better. That is purely preference though. I think the Blazes in the UV are clearer and for some reason I like playing it more. But the JP is just as good of a guitar.

However, the JP is a floating bridge. It's not a Floyd Rose but if you break a string, the guitar is is useless until you change them. It's a great guitar but it still has a floating bridge.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Your bumming me out telling me the Petrucci has a floating bridge, but I guess it's better that I find out now, thanks.
The guy at the shop asked me if I wanted a trem or not, so maybe he knows something I don't and it's available without a trem (though I doubt it).

I'm still leaning towards the Petrucci though, I can always block the trem.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 PM

How about Carvin 7s. Im an Ibanez guy at heart and have been loyal to it for a while but lately, i've been really liking the looks of those DC 727s and Tony MacAlpine's sig is looking pretty nice. I love his tone too and he has become one of my top 5 favorite guitar players, I love his Carvin 7s.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
How about Carvin 7s. Im an Ibanez guy at heart and have been loyal to it for a while but lately, i've been really liking the looks of those DC 727s and Tony MacAlpine's sig is looking pretty nice. I love his tone too and he has become one of my top 5 favorite guitar players, I love his Carvin 7s.
They are nice Carvin guitars. Are they still using licensed Floyds in 7 strings? I read somewhere they were going to use OFR-7 trems from now on.

Regards

André

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:11 AM

Shecter's where it's at, IMO, if you want something to differentiate from an Ibanez 7. You could go the USA route, but honestly I've been impressed enough with their Diamond series that I wouldn't even bother. I think the new black cherry C7 Hellraiser is going to be my next 7-string purchase - I'm not big on EMG's (they offer the Blackjack C7 with a '59/JB set, but I don't like black guitars generally), but if they don't work out for me I'll just grab some pickup rings and a set of duncans - it's a gorgeous guitar, and if a buddy of mine's C7 is any indication, it should be able to hang with your UV and 7620 with no problems, while providing a completely different look and feel.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone here have a Leviiathan?
It's a little too metal for me and maybe a little more than I want to spend, but
they are sweet looking.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Drew is right about Schecters. Lately, they have been coming out with some gorgeous 7s. I recently played a 007 elite at a music store and aside from the neck being a little thicker than what im accustomed to, it was still very nice, I wanted to take it home.

As far as Carvin's, Andre, go here www.carvinmuseum.com and check out what they have. Impressive stuff. Tony MacAlpine's sig just has a 'T-Mac' logo on it and I think his guitar is one of the nicest.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Drew is right about Schecters. Lately, they have been coming out with some gorgeous 7s. I recently played a 007 elite at a music store and aside from the neck being a little thicker than what im accustomed to, it was still very nice, I wanted to take it home.

As far as Carvin's, Andre, go here www.carvinmuseum.com and check out what they have. Impressive stuff. Tony MacAlpine's sig just has a 'T-Mac' logo on it and I think his guitar is one of the nicest.
Stop talking about Carvins and just get one!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringofablick
Stop talking about Carvins and just get one!
One of these days.....real soon.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 AM

I absolutely love the 6-string Petruccis, from my numerous Guitar Center jams on them...I don't have the kind of $$ to plop down on one, though (Although I'd definitely get a 7-string with Piezos if I did)

A Carvin would be nice too.

But my Schecter and Ibanez are both holding up fine...although my Wolfgang's getting more playing time lately, just because I like the pickups better (Although I miss the 7th string and the 2 additional frets when I play it...I really need to replace the pickups in my Ibanez and my Schecter, dammit.)
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 AM

Ive got a Petrucci 6 String, and it most certainly has a floating trem! You could get a tremol-no for it (if theyre ever released...).

But if you are looking for a fixed bridge your better off looking at something else.

Tags
carvin guitars , fixed bridge , floating bridges , floyd rose , guitar players , music store , neck thru , pickup ring , pickup rings , tony macalpine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode