Tell me how this sounds... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Smile Tell me how this sounds...

I just got an RGA121NTF, and I love it, but I have a few ideas for it I'm thinking about getting a solid white German made No.1 guitar strap (The same elastic strap used by Buckethead), Schaller Strap-Locks of course, and some new pickups. A Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck, that is black and white, and a Tone Zone in the bridge that is white and black. Tell me what you think...also, just as a random note, the reason that I'm hearding towards a white No.1 strap is that I wanna go for something unique. you just don't see people with a guitar with a natural finish, black/white and white/black pickups and a solid white elastic guitar strap. Tell me what you think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Tell me how this sounds...

the white definitely contrasts with the RGA's natural finish... dunno about zebra white/black for that guitar... maybe all white/white p/u's with black trim rings? the strap looks too "plain" but as long your comfortable with it... I'm using a 3" white Dimarzio strap to compliment the white p/u's on my 760 (plus its comfy)... Maybe some white knobs + switch can add more "white" to the black/white p/u's? otherwise, your mods should make that guitar look in-your-face while being classy in the end
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

That sounds good man, thanks for the opinion Given, the strap I'm gonna get is white, but it gets alot of extra points in my book because of the elasticity of it, and the effect it can have for showmanship...good stuff. And come to think of it, the white pickups sound like they'd look good. All that white would look nice if done right, lets hope I can do it lol. Yet again, muchos gracias.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Also, what do you think of the pickup choice: Air Norton neck, and Tone Zone bridge?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM

cmon dog let the wood do the talking. you dont wanna ruin the sound of that mahogany body. i would get something a bit lower in output for the bridge. almost any pickup will sound big in that guitar. i personally feel that the woods/amp contribute more to the sound than the pickups. just me though
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Nice man, so what you do you think about the Air Norton?...Good? And on the note of the bridge pickup, what do you think would go good with the mahogany body instead of the Tone Zone?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 AM

Reviews: 12

i'm not a fan of the stock v7's and v8's on most RG's but on the RGA... it's a different story... so I have to agree on Matty's comment... maybe a dimarzio paf pro in the neck will make it sing and sustain up the ying yang? maybe ya can try a paf pro in the bridge as well? not a hi-gain shredder setup but i assume it could be the clearest sounding guitar through any amp. any RGA users that can verify this?

Reg
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:22 AM

Tone Zone with mahogany body is probably not a good combination. Muddy is the word..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 AM

A very trusted friend of mine (and a monster tech) has an ear for tone. When I asked him what he thought about putting a TZ, PAF Pro or something different in the guitar, he suggested that I just leave it alone.

He has several of the RGA121 guitars and tried different pickup combinations. I was actually surprised that he recommended to keep the stock pickups, but he was very clear in saying that nothing will sound better in the guiar. I've had my RGA for over a year now and I have gigged and recorded with the stock pickups - I am very pleased.

As for the customization of the appearance, I say do what you like.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 12:11 PM

i have a 121 right now and had my 321 stolen from me recently. I have a PAF Pro in my 121. the 321 was stock. i chose the PAF Pro in the 121 because it cuts through the darkness of the woods
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about your 321 :[
I've heard that the Breed set, PAF's, Air Norton and Tone Zone combo sound good in the 121 because they sound really well with the mahogany body. Does anybody have any of these combos, and if so tell me what you think.

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , black pickups , bridge pickup , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio strap , mahogany body , norton neck , paf pro , pickup combination , sounding guitar , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode