In theory: Could one get an EBMM JPM swirled? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

In theory: Could one get an EBMM JPM swirled?

I was just thinking about how much I love swirls (DNA's and GMC's..mmmmm) and I was wondering...only in theory, I don't think I would actually do this, but with the finish on the Petrucci's (mine's the Pearl Redburst, but I think they all have the gloss) could it be done? Would it just be sanded down and painted and re-glossed? Thanks.
~Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 08:19 PM

In theory, yes.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:17 PM

Why not? Don't think it can be swirled just because it's a MusicMan? I'm confused as to why you'd ask this since *anything* can be swirled...
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh, good point. Better question, then. Is there anyone who could photoshop a JPM with a DNA or GMC swirl? The more I think about this the more I'm thinking of making a rash decision. But, I'm guessing it would either be ugly or I'd get sick of it. If the 'preview' technology doesn't exist, then I'll just wait and visualize.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:12 PM

you ain't the only one dude, I've a jpm7 in pearl redburst and another on the way in blue burst.

I like the redburst so much I can't imagine swirling it, but I can't see doing it to the blue burst either(upcharge for that finish anyway). BUT I have serioualy thought of having it swirled...

I'd love to see a mock-up of a jpm swirled.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:34 AM

The body would be stripped clean then painted white prior to swirling, then swirled, then cleared and polished. Be prepared to pay for the stripping job unless you want to tackle it yourself, and also be prepared for a hellacious disassembly/reassembly if you have the piezo option...although I am not too sure on how EB went about putting those bridges together.

Personally, I think the DNA swirls are killer, especially ones that have a lot of chaos and black in them. Let us know what you decide. It will cost a small fortune.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 10:14 AM

personally, I don't think it'd look good swirled. To me, swirls should be reserved for "dangerous" looking guitars.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:40 AM

I think the jpm guitar is more 'dangerous' looking than a Jem... but thats my opinion.

I think the jpm guitars don't come out well at all in any pictures I've seen of it, but once I got mine in hand, I saw the nice curves and cuts.. sweet...

HOWEVER.. I think the trem is nice, but LOOKS weenieish.. the headstock isn't that tough looking either.

I think the MC Universes have that dangerous look to the max...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:01 PM
EKG

I say swirl it!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Kolesar
I say swirl it!
oh heck, you'd swirl your pecker if it wouldn't hurt your 'gettin laid' chances... hmmm could help though!

kidding... please don't encourage me... this nice red pearl burst might bite the dust...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:29 PM

I could really go for a pearl swirl though...

you know the colors are pearl colors... deep colors, and swirlem! ahh... doh another 500.00 upcharge for that...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:54 PM
EKG

Like Nike says: JUST DO IT

Swirled pecker....hmmmmmm?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Well gentlemen, I should be getting a price quote from Herc shortly, I hope. I hope he even entertains the idea! I'll let y'all know.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 02:55 PM

Adam, please let me know what the quote is...

Did you request a DNA replica, how many colors is that? I would love to do that to a 7620 body I just stripped last night.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't know if I can publicly put money quotes, but you can just nip it out if it's illegal. I asked for a DNA swirl and matched headstock and he said $399, but that's if I just send the body and neck and gut it myself. I don't know enough about guitars to gut them, but if he has to do it it's 75 extra dollars. Still, if I can get a pic of what this would look like I just may do it. A DNA-ish Petrucci...sounds better the more I think of it. I should patent this idea!!

Tags
dna swirl , ebmm jpm , gmc swirl , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode