Are there any RG's with a stop tailpiece? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Are there any RG's with a stop tailpiece?

Here's my situtation. I love my Jem and RG's but I am forced to bring a Les Paul to every gig also because it acts as my dropped D guitar, but can be quickly tuned to standard tuning if I need it to be, unlike my Jem and RG's. I wish I had another RG that was strung through the body or had a stop tailpiece, so I can bring all my favorite Ibanez guitars to my gigs. I've seen only 1 RG that was strung through the body, but it was Korean made and I don't want no crappy Korean guitars. Did Ibanez ever make an RG without a tremelo? I don't want an S series or a Prestige that I can't afford. I'm looking to spend about $300. In essence, I want a RG550 strung through the body. I like the thin Wizard neck. Is this possible? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the RG321 is currently an RG hardtail availble new at a low cost. they made a few RG hardtails... RG421 (MIJ), USRG10 and UCEWs were orderable as a hardtail. search the forum for more details... glen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:25 PM

Assuming that you use a Les Paul when you gig, you have no real need for the tremolo...

You can always block up the trem and not have to worry about it.

Maybe the Trem-Setter would also work.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe I got a reply from Glen! Wow...I'm almost honored! Thanks Glen. I'm going to see if I can find one of those model guitars that you mentioned. I got a reply from the man! The Jemsite Jedi Master!
And thanks to you too Longhair. To tell you the truth, I forgot all about blocking the trem. I suppose that would do the trick but then I wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new guitar! hehehe.....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 PM

The Trem-Setter wouldn't have any effect in regards to dropping do a "D". All a Trem-Setter does is stabilize the trem to prevent flutter, etc.

Pick up a nice RG-321OL or a used RG-421. There are plenty of them out there, and with a quick pickup swap, they're great guitars (And neither are terribly expensive!)

Otherwise, hope and pray that somebody comes up with an ingenious device that will allow you to block and unblock your trem at will. It could happen...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

OH man, I've got all the big dogs replying to this one!
Yeah, I see there is a RG321 on Ebay right now and I think it was like $120 bucks or something. It's just plain old black though. I'll keep looking for something with some character. See what I do is, I tune my Jem up to standard tuning, then I take an RG 550 also in standard to use as a backup in case of technical problems, broken strings or whatever. If the backup goes too, then I take the dropped D guitar (currently a Les Paul), and can tune it up to standard very quickly. I'd brought another RG550 to use as the dropped D once, but when I ran into problems with the other 2, and had to tune it up from dropped D, it took me too long and the band had to take a break. Unlock the nut, tune, tune, tune, lock it up, tune again. I can't wait to find one of the models you guys mentioned and keep that big, ugly, bulky les paul at home. Thanks for all your help, this forum is the best. IBANEZ RULES!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 04:26 PM

There's also now an RG521, and an RG1571(?)

On evilbay there's an RG521 body (or was) for sale

Cheers
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
There's also now an RG521, and an RG1571(?)
Both Asia/Europe only models- neither very easy to come by in the US

Check out the new RG321MH:
http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG321MH

Nice quality guitar, and a killer price. You should be able to pick one up brand new for under $300.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 05:59 PM
x2n

Hey,
wow thats great, when did they come out with that new 321MO? Gosh I wish I would have gotten that instead of the regular basswood 321, oh well. Yes I agree, get that axe!! for that price its a steal {IMO}
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:03 PM

The RG321MH was just introduced at NAMM
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 PM

It is quite usual to see used 421's -which are japanese- with DiMarzio pickups (installed privately) for very good prices, I think you could get one of those by posting an ad right here on Jemsite.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 08:31 PM

I sold my RG421 with a Dimarzio Paf Pro in the bridge to a fellow board member.

IT was a great guitar, held tune well, and sounded really good. Cant go wrong for the price.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 02:57 AM

I once saw an advertisement in a magazine for a guitar that actually could block/unblock the trem at will. It worked by having a bracket on the front of the body, located on the opposite side of the bridge from the strings. You swung the bar into the bracket and clamped it into place. This effectively made the bridge a stop tailpiece when locked in this way. I never saw one in person though, so I can't vouch for how well this actually worked. Kind of a neat idea though.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 01:12 AM

PArkers offer the most versatile trem out there.

From full floating to one way to fixed in a simple turn of a dial!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 10:48 PM

Is that RG-321 Mahogany body already availiable?
I can't seem to find one in european music webstores...

Anyway, what do you guys think of this guitar?
Is it very crappy or will it make a nice player axe with new pickups and locking tuners??
I was really thinking of buying one of these, 'cause I need a fixed bridge guitar to be my player/beater, but also decent enough to make some gigs with my cover band, mainly in smokey pubs where I'm not comfortable to take my JPM.
I never had a mahogany body guitar, so I guess this would be a good one...

What do you Ibanez-experts think?

Tags
dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , ibanez guitars , korean guitar , les paul , locking tuners , mahogany body , paf pro , thin wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode