Is there a difference in sound/feel/etc. between the different wood types? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Is there a difference in sound/feel/etc. between the different wood types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I'm still struggling with this kind of dilemma also.
woods vs pickups vs amps vs strings gauge, etc...

I'm not kind of person who has golden ears, can tell the different blindfolded.
but one thing for sure, once I put a PAF pro on a maple board RG with basswood, and comparing it to a PAF pro on a rosewood board with basswood RG.
same strings brand, same amp eq, same set up. the maple neck is brighter than the rosewood.

so i can made conclusion, tonewood does effect.
Correct.

And 6fingers, I personally don't re-set my eqs when I change guitars. I want to hear the subtle differences I get from different timbers, pickups, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Wow, if 6fingers is right on this point, my ears must be really super-sensitive since all my life I've been able to hear the differences in woods.

I like Basswood best, warm without being muddy but bright enough for nice cleans.
Really, NO MATTER THE PICKUP. Sure, with different p/ups the tone will be different, but when comparing different woods with the same p/ups you can tell the difference. At least, I can.

But again, if 6fingers is right I must have some real super hearing going on... I'm going to go get a dog whistle and see if I can hear it, my ears must be *THAT* good.

post #18 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
Wow, if 6fingers is right on this point, my ears must be really super-sensitive since all my life I've been able to hear the differences in woods.

I like Basswood best, warm without being muddy but bright enough for nice cleans.
Really, NO MATTER THE PICKUP. Sure, with different p/ups the tone will be different, but when comparing different woods with the same p/ups you can tell the difference. At least, I can.

But again, if 6fingers is right I must have some real super hearing going on... I'm going to go get a dog whistle and see if I can hear it, my ears must be *THAT* good.

I never said people can't hear those differences, I said amps and pups is what we hear when we plug our guitars.
If not, put a guy on a different room, ask him to plug different woods(guitars) with the same pups to the same amp and tell which wood they have.
You can't, nobody can so those wood differences are so small that what matters are pups and amps.
Plus our brains act different every day(we're not robots ), they depend on what we eat, how much we sleep etc, so one day alder could sound bright and the other day it could sound darker, just like one day a hamburger tastes saulty and the other day it tasted not saulty.
An again we all set our gear equalizers to our tastes so we all change those wood differences with our gear settings, in the end those differences are completely changed by our gear.

Last edited by 6fingers; 03-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
post #19 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I bought a dog whistle once and I, as well as everyone in my family, could hear it even at its highest pitch. And I don't mean like I could barely hear it, I mean it was just a high pitched note. I didn't think it was even near the edge of the human audio spectrum. Maybe I bought a cheap one.
post #20 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I bought a dog whistle once and I, as well as everyone in my family, could hear it even at its highest pitch. And I don't mean like I could barely hear it, I mean it was just a high pitched note. I didn't think it was even near the edge of the human audio spectrum. Maybe I bought a cheap one.
Yep, you shouldn't be able to hear a dog whistle. It should just sound like air passing through a straw to human ears.
post #21 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
I never said people can't hear those differences, I said amps and pups is what we hear when we plug our guitars.
If not, put a guy on a different room, ask him to plug different woods(guitars) with the same pups to the same amp and tell which wood they have.
You can't, nobody can so those wood differences are so small that what matters are pups and amps.
An again we all set our gear equalizers to our tastes so we all change those wood differences with our gear settings.In the end those differences are completely changed by our gear.
The point is; most of us don't change our amps to try to get guitars of different woods to sound the same, and played back to back you can say, "That guitar sounds warmer, or brighter, or muddier..." etc. if you change nothing but the guitar and don't touch the amp. I had an RG520 with a mahogany body, rosewood board and a set of Evolution pickups in it, I also had an RG570 with a basswood body, rosewood board and the same p/ups and while it was subtle, you could hear, even blind, the darker tone of the RG520. And even though I never tried it, I do believe that if someone else were playing those guitars, and I couldn't see them, I'd know my 520 from my 570.

I no longer have those guitars, so I can't give it a whirl, and I'll concede that on a recording with a full band, and after processing, especially if you're knocking it down to a heavily compressed mp3, 99.99% of people couldn't really hear the difference, it's when PLAYING LIVE that you, the player, will hear the difference and it WILL effect how you play.
post #22 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
it's when PLAYING LIVE that you, the player, will hear the difference and it WILL effect how you play.
Live?
Yeah without a band and audience, locked inside your bedroom.
Nobody in the world can tell which wood a guitar has at the stage, not the audience and not the player.
And no, tone would never affect my playing, I've been playing for 20 years and I always gave my best even when an amp was crap or stage sound was terrible, I always played the same way.When people pay you to play, there are no excuses, you have to play no matter how good or crap sound is, I remember one time I played around 2004 with a crap small roland amp with two 8' speakers, promoter told me there'd be good amps at that gig, well there weren't, I played the whole gig(about 1 hour) without hearing myself, yes without hearing myself cause I micked that crap amp but that stupid guy on the mixing board couldn't send it to my monitors and I couldn't stop the gig to teach him how to do it

There are so many different situations but the only one you can hear wood differences is sit alone in front of your amp and exchange 2 guitars with different woods but with the same pups.
post #23 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Darn, I can't hear which pickups this guy is using. Can anyone help me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJCf8WXdhFM
post #24 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Darn, I can't hear which pickups this guy is using. Can anyone help me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJCf8WXdhFM

But I can tell it's basswodd with an alder top but in the middle he used a mahogany guitar with some termites
post #25 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If you can discern the subtle difference between a basswood body and an alder body in otherwise the same guitar, loaded with the same pickups through the same amp and effects...

You're not using enough gain.

Simple as that.
post #26 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If you can discern the subtle difference between a basswood body and an alder body in otherwise the same guitar, loaded with the same pickups through the same amp and effects...

Simple as that.
Clean shred is best shred. Higain is for glam rockers and death metal.
post #27 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Simple as that.
Lmao
post #28 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
Lmao
Lmao Lmao
post #29 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Simple as that.
Thanks jono, I most likely should have pointed out that I'm referring to the clean sound of the guitar, when you're looking for those subtle differences, not an amp cranked up to eleven where you could have a tin can with a magnet in it, wrapped in wire, set in a concrete bodied guitar and it'll still sound like a 'regular' guitar.
post #30 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Live?
Yeah without a band and audience, locked inside your bedroom.
Nobody in the world can tell which wood a guitar has at the stage, not the audience and not the player.
And no, tone would never affect my playing, I've been playing for 20 years and I always gave my best even when an amp was crap or stage sound was terrible, I always played the same way.When people pay you to play, there are no excuses, you have to play no matter how good or crap sound is, I remember one time I played around 2004 with a crap small roland amp with two 8' speakers, promoter told me there'd be good amps at that gig, well there weren't, I played the whole gig(about 1 hour) without hearing myself, yes without hearing myself cause I micked that crap amp but that stupid guy on the mixing board couldn't send it to my monitors and I couldn't stop the gig to teach him how to do it

There are so many different situations but the only one you can hear wood differences is sit alone in front of your amp and exchange 2 guitars with different woods but with the same pups.
But the difference IS there, regardless... and I'm sure you always play your best, but believe me, playing through a crap amp WILL effect the outcome of not only your tone, but the way you play as well. EVERYTHING in the environment while you're playing effects your performance, not better or worse, but overall.

You're right, totally blind I can't tell you if a guitar is basswood, mahogany or plastic (well, I HOPE I'd know the plastic one) but you can hear 'warm', 'bright' , 'dark', 'muddy', etc, and yes, even in 'live' situations. Be it in your bedroom or on a loud stage, and since 'tone' woods characteristics are normally, 'warm', 'bright', etc. based on the wood. You can often make an educated guess as to what wood you're hearing, so long as you're listing to a clean enough sound that allows the timbre of the natural wood to come through.

If you only play distorted, it's very hard to tell the difference... but even then, it does subtly effect your tone since you're final tone is simply a result of everything, starting with the guitar all the way to the speaker.

Tags
body material , neck material , wood type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode