Is there an Ibanez trem that doesn't require breaking off the ends of the strings and - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Is there an Ibanez trem that doesn't require breaking off the ends of the strings and

Is dive/pull?

THere's a guitar at a place here that has a trem that goes in and out and when I looked at the bottom of the guitar you could seeht elittle ends of the strings. I had never seen a down up trem like that before. The guy at the space said he thought it was configured wrong.

I'm talking about this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 AM

Re: Is there an Ibanez trem that doesn't require breaking off the ends of the strings

the js1000 i've got has the ibanez lo pro trem on it which takes the ball ends of the string, there is a plastic bit under each saddle thats shaped that the ball end sits inthen you just lock the saddle clamps on to the string, makes string changes much quicker
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Is there an Ibanez trem that doesn't require breaking off the ends of the strings

Have you tried reversing the strings so the ball end is up at the tuners on the headstock?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 10:17 AM

I don't know if you can do this on all Ibby trems, but I have taken the lock down screws out of my TRS II's and just strung the string through the holes where the screws were. Works great.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Is dive/pull?

THere's a guitar at a place here that has a trem that goes in and out and when I looked at the bottom of the guitar you could seeht elittle ends of the strings. I had never seen a down up trem like that before. The guy at the space said he thought it was configured wrong.

I'm talking about this

Yes, the Edge Pro and Edge ProII are string thru as you describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblues View Post
the js1000 i've got has the ibanez lo pro trem on it which takes the ball ends of the string, there is a plastic bit under each saddle thats shaped that the ball end sits inthen you just lock the saddle clamps on to the string, makes string changes much quicker
You have an Edge Pro, not a Lo-Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I don't know if you can do this on all Ibby trems, but I have taken the lock down screws out of my TRS II's and just strung the string through the holes where the screws were. Works great.

That must make string changes easier, but it kinda kills the "double locking" part of the equation, ehh?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
Have you tried reversing the strings so the ball end is up at the tuners on the headstock?
^ This, you'd still have to cut the excess from the other side though, i don't like seeing the ball ends on the headstock so i cut them, its like a few seconds more, unless you are working as guitar tech and have to change strings every day then reversing the strings is good solution.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:36 PM

That must make string changes easier, but it kinda kills the "double locking" part of the equation, ehh?

works just like a normal floyd style trem. You can still use the locking nut.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:

No, I get it. I was kind of goofing off.....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
No, I get it. I was kind of goofing off.....
I need to loosen up LOL
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 PM

My RG370DX has the Edge Pro II. It's nice to not have to cut the balls off, and when I change them, I can keep the old set as emergency spares and I can put them on anything instead of being limited to the clamp only trems.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 AM

this is awesome.. my strings pop out of my Edge Zero ZPS and I can't stand it - hopefully I can try this. What is the tremolo you have?

Quote:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
No, it doesn't... stringing like this, you have a single-locking system, just like a guitar with a Strat-like trem + locking tuners. The difference is that you use the microtuners instead of the headstock tuners. Essentially, when you use the whammy bar, the strings may go out of place because they're not locked at the saddle, thus going out of tune.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 AM

you're right there,, I'm not a big trem guy so this is the one guitar I have that isn't either a hardtail, T-O-M or blocked. I haven't had any tuning problems yet but I could see if the ball ends move around during dives, I could have problems. I don't normally go Dimebag on the trem so hopefully it keeps working for me
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 PM

In answer to the OP's original question, yes there is, the ILT-1 Trem.
Its a licensed Floyd, single lock. Came on the RG220/250/270 back in the early 2000's.

was a piece of crap though.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:30 AM

If a trem needs the ball end, it won't give perfect tuning.
The place where the ball connects to the string can flex, stretch or bind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode