Is there a reason that S-series guitars aren't directmounted - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Is there a reason that S-series guitars aren't directmounted

Kinda long for a subject line, but that's my question. I don't even see that spec on the prestiges, is there a specific reason for this?

I think it might have to do with the thinness of the body. Anyone with suggestions because I'm planning to direct-mount my hums on my S-520EX...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Vendor

The recent JCS had direct mounts mounted from the rear, my guess is because of the body thinness.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 04:34 PM

Ive seen direct mount screws on different guitars come through the trem cavity. Considering how thing the js's are who knows Im not sure how the cavitys line up as I don thave one for reference.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 07:23 PM

In 1994, Ibanez did a fixed-bridge Frank Gambale model that had rear-mounted pickups, too. (Have i mentioned lately how useful those catalog scans are, Rich?)

http://ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1994/94025.jpg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
(Have i mentioned lately how useful those catalog scans are, Rich?)
Once or twice

Can't say how glad I am they are of help to everybody, makes it worth the full week of work and 1 broken scanner

You know I haven't grabbed a catalog myself since I put them online, I'm such a nethead
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 07:36 AM

man, those FGM200s are killer!! i've been asking around if anyone has any idea as to which FGM model was featured in the cover of Gambale's 'Passages'. Rich- you are the man!

i've always wanted a fixed bridge S-series + direct mount pickups... how deprived can one get?

anyway, if the depth of the S body is the reason as to why the humbuckers are bracket mounted, then it doesn't make sense because the single coil pickup (in the Prestige model for instance) aren't bracket mounted...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

That is what seems odd to me too, but singles are mostly direct mounted on any given guitar (that's my experience anyway ).

Thanks for the feedback (and the short timespan )
I am NOT going to backmount them for your information (not by myself anyway )

I think I'll leave it the way it is for some time, but damn that guitar will look killer with direct-mounted hums, and if I put some nice Dimarzio's in it will even sound better (the V1 and V2 are much better than I'd expected knowing the V7/V8...)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
In 1994, Ibanez did a fixed-bridge Frank Gambale model that had rear-mounted pickups, too. (Have i mentioned lately how useful those catalog scans are, Rich?)

http://ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1994/94025.jpg
Darn you beat me to it. That's one cool guitar.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:23 PM

wait, guys. shawn lane's custom shop S540 is direct mounted. i know this the exception not the rule, but apparently it can happen. i guess if you specifically designate certain pickups and their dimensions regarding string height and etc. you can direct mount those bad boys, but since S540 are production models, i guess ibanez takes for account that consumers more than likely will mod the instruments with aftermarket pickups of varying specs so a "general" type of mounting is what is found on the production models...aka pickup rings. just my 2 cents.

rich
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 09:34 PM

I could be wrong, but isn't it more an issue of screw length, rather than pickup size?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:29 PM

I believe DiMarzio makes humbuckers with shorter "ears", which means the deep routes on either side of the pickup cavity don't have to be quite as deep. This would make direct-mounting a little more practical.

I don't know why Gibson designed them to be so long in the first place. Could they not get shorter screws or springs?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 02:37 AM

The ideal, seth lover said, was to keep as much of the pickup in the guitar so it could be better shielded as possible, as well as the fact that alot of gibsons first humbucker guitars were archtops requiring different varying lenghts of adjustment from model to model. So that way you could use one pickup for ten body types
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I think it's probable to assume that direct mounted V1/V2's will have a hard time just staying in place....
If you need long screws you only have to put a slight touch on them and they'll fall either way. And to get them firmly in position you will have to screw them in deeper, and thereby there's a possibility that you actually screw the screw through the body...

And that's a risk I'm not going to take. It's true that Di-Marzio's edge lower than the Ibanez pickups, I noticed that when I compared the Tone Zones on my PGM to my direct-mounted RG...

Thanks for the input guys
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:29 PM

Just as a note, evh used to use wood shims and nails on occassion. Nails of all things!! I tried it once and it worked but Id never do it on a guitar I liked.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 05:50 PM

Heh. I always loved EVH's version of strap locks... Big eyelet hooks screwed straight into the body, then an industrial-strength clip on the end of the strap. (At one point, he even used a chain that looked like a dog chain. Owie!)

That's "direct mounting" taken to the extreme.

Tags
coil pickup , custom shop , darren wilson , direct mount pickups , fixed bridge , frank gambale , frank gambale model , gambale model , humbucker guitar , ibanez pickups , mount pickups , mounted pickups , pickup cavity , pickup ring , pickup rings , production model , shawn lane , strap lock , strap locks , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode