Is there something up with RG520QS's? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Is there something up with RG520QS's?

I have a RG3120 and I really like the mahongany body with maple top sound I get out of it, great P/U's also. These 520's seem to be a very very similar guitar, mahogany body with sapelle top(species of maple). They are MIJ have real edge trems, etc. I realize they don't have Dimarzios installed, but is there something up with them. I have never seen one in my area to be able to play it.

How do they compare to the 3120? Seems like you could throw in some Dimarzios and have a budget 3120 with all the MIJ quality. Is there something Im missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Re: Is there something up with RG520QS's?

The sapele top on a RG520QS is just a thin veneer,Compared to a real thicker maple (drop)top on 3120- 5mm I believe.
3120 also has the direct mounted Dimarzios on 3120 PAF pro and Tone Zone.

The neck is also superior to the 520.three piece laminates of maple on earlier models.
I doubt you will hear much difference regarding wood.But definitely the build quality and construction plus the default Dimarzios on 3120 puts it way above the 520s.

But for 520's price, These guitars are worth keeping-just upgrade the pickups.They're $300-500 popping up on the bay once in while.
I'll have mine "converted" to 3120 soon--thick maple cap, direct dimarzio pickups dimarzio ears routes etc.--I have an extra prestige neck I could use but its wider at the heel.Maybe I'll use the existing neck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

I didn't realize is was a super thin veneer. How are you adding a thick top to yours. You will have to plane down the original body alot won't you?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I didn't realize is was a super thin veneer. How are you adding a thick top to yours. You will have to plane down the original body alot won't you?
Yup.I will have the top planed down.sorry, it would be just the same thickness as the usual drop tops 5-6mm not thick maple cap.I already have the bookmatched maple.it's around 1/4" inch thick.Definetely thicker than 3120's.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM

oops double posted.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Reviews: 4

Yep, 3120 is just the older brother of the 520.

That said, the 520 is pretty amazing - and plays the same as any MIJ Ibanez.

The 3120 is really nice, it has all the prestige features. In fact, the 3120 is arguably the most famous prestige. The binding effect, the fret details, the fancier top. etc..

The 520 is a little more stripped down. It has v8/v7 pickups, which are not that bad, especially when you do that phantom mod. The DiMarzio's in the 3120 actually seem to be a bit muddy for mahogany. I think there was a version with a Tone-zone bridge and an Air norton in the neck, and a version with the TZ and a PAF pro. The PAF pro is a better fit for mahogany, but the TZ could be too bassy. I just got the pickups on my 520 changed to an AT1 and a FRED in the neck. I will get it back saturday.

The 520 neck isn't all that bad in comparison either. I love the bubinga-striped super-wizard neck. It is just as thin as the original, and actually looks classier with the bubinga stripe. Fret work is average for MIJ Ibanez. Not prestige, but it's fine.

Edge bridge on both, until 2003. I personally do not like the the Edge pro as much as the original edge, but opinions vary. Personally, I like having the locking studs, which the Edge-pro lacks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM

Sapele is actually a member of the mahogany family, AKA African Mahogany, not maple... If that makes a difference?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:47 PM

I love the Super Wizard neck on the RG520.
The finish, what ever they call it, on the RG520 hardware seems to crap out on a lot of them and get neasty.
I'm going to take the finish off and see what's under it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Well i was definitely wrong on the sapele. Could have sworn I read somewhere it was a maple derivative, but I just looked it up and yes related to Mahogany. So that would alter tone a little, but still probably nice. I still think Im probably down for one sometime soon. Have quite a few things ahead of it though.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 AM

Reviews: 13

As a working players guitar RG520s cannot be beaten IMO. The price you can pick these up for used is just nuts - not a bad thing if you have a fondness for them like I do.

I replace the V7/V8s with a FRED and PAF Pro configuration (I also have one with an EVO neck and bridge combo).

As Sebastian has said the finish on the Trem can wear of a bit but it's not unlike any other RG with a Trem that has a Cosmo black finish - you need to wipe down after playing.

-Wolfram
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 AM

I always liked RGs with H-H configuration-2 pickups do the job well.And true that, 520s are workhorses.
I just don't know why the clear coat chips away like they do.
I think some of the 520's came with power/powder cosmo hardware.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah all the cosmo stuff wears too quickly, Its a shame. Iced you mention the clear chips away, explain more please. Like how easily?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM

I got mine used.It already had chips at the horns and bottom side.But the way it's chipped is like you will see the bare wood! No wood stain.Like a chunk of clear (with stain or whatnot) was missing.
Now it has all sorts of small chips can't even remember how it got them.Imagine a cracked m&m with some colored coating missing -showing the chocolate inside.But the finish on 520 will not crack.Just gets chipped by chunks.LOL

I guess they spray (thin) clear the body then thick coats of stained poly. And over time they kinda separate from each other.or maybe not.LOL I sold my first 520QS and had the same problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode