There's a beautiful US Schecter going on the auction site - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

There's a beautiful US Schecter going on the auction site

The number is 3712741418. The catch is that it's closing in about an hour. Either the seller is desperate or stupid, because right now it's at just over $500. This thing has a spruce top over a koa body. The koa alone is worth about $300 just as a piece of raw wood. I think it's one of the nicest US Schecter 7 strings I've ever seen. It's a sad time to have all of my cash tied up. I'd love to have this hanging around for a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:49 PM

Beautiful woods on that axe. Looks like a great guitar, overall. My only problem is it's ass ugly.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
Beautiful woods on that axe. Looks like a great guitar, overall. My only problem is it's ass ugly.
That's what you consider ugly? Just what do you consider to be beautiful?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:14 PM

GORGEOUS woods on there, and I am a fan of gold hardware, but it's a bit too "plain Jane" for my tastes.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Talk about serious depreciation. It went for $585 to a last minute sniper. That's unbelievable. I'm pretty much broke, but I tried to sneak in a couple of bids anyway. Probably a good thing I didn't win.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 AM

$585 for a Schector USA Custom??? Shucks. I personally thought it was beautiful.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:44 AM

*sigh* What a steal. Some people get so lucky. Man, the neck on that thing was giving me goosebumps.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
That's what you consider ugly? Just what do you consider to be beautiful?
The woods on the guitar look great, but the overall combo of woods they used doesn't look good to me. The combo of a spruce top and a koa back doesn't look good to me. Oh yeah, and I hate pickguards . I don't think the gold hardware makes it all look any better.

This is what we consider beauty in my strange world . Except for that floyd.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:15 AM

The raw materials were beautiful, but i don't care for the aesthetics of how it was all put together. I'd love to have a spruce top on a semi-hollow guitar with piezos, but capping that gorgeous piece of koa with a plain wood seemed like quite a shame.

And i can't stand pickguards.

I thought the back of the guitar was prettier than the front.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Setting aside the cosmetics for a moment, this guitar is the latest in a series of events that has convinced me that the 7-string market has shunk below the level of viability.

An educated guess tells me that the original list price for this guitar was around $2400. The seller couldn't give it away. Obviously, there are ltos of reasons for that, not the least of which is Schecter having firmly positioned itself as a lower end builder with their Korean guitars. But still, there are plenty of people out there who know the spectacular quality that comes out of their US Custom shop. I've seen a succession of outstanding jazz 7-strings on [email protected] lately and they've been going for much less than they once did, if they go at all.

As a builder, my experience is about the same. I now have a line up for my 6-string version and almost no interest at all in my 7-strings. Yes, I know they're expensive, but so are the six strings and that's not stopping anyone. I'm in a position now where the effort to build 6-strings is constant and 7-strings will only be built on-order. It's ironic given that the 7-string was my entire reason for starting this venture, but reality is reality and the demand for a high end 7 string is just way too limited to be a big part of what I'm doing as a builder.

With the emergence of the baritone, I feel like the the 7-string has been undercut with it's largest market, those who simply want to go lower. Most builders have either eliminated or cut way back on their 7 string efforts and the niche is getting smaller instead of bigger.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:52 AM

I just saw this thread, I must have been snoozin'. That guitar sold low! Wow, a nice looking guitar, a lifetime keeper I'm guessing. Love that tight top.

jim
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:41 PM

That guitar was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen. It was just beautiful in every way. That neck was just screaming to be played with that maple. Bloody Lovely!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 07:51 PM

What an insane steal! What a shame I didn't see that as I would have paid at least a few hundred over that price for that guitar. Wonder what the pup route looks like as that guitar would be awesome with H-S-S pups - not many of those around and I've got the H-H configuration covered.

As I've stated elsewhere here on the forum, I can't recommend Schecter USA 7's enough - They are truly awesome playing, sounding, looking, and feeling guitars. Here's some pics of the two I own...

http://www.lintzland.com/music/Schecter

Randy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlintz
What an insane steal! What a shame I didn't see that as I would have paid at least a few hundred over that price for that guitar. Wonder what the pup route looks like as that guitar would be awesome with H-S-S pups - not many of those around and I've got the H-H configuration covered.

As I've stated elsewhere here on the forum, I can't recommend Schecter USA 7's enough - They are truly awesome playing, sounding, looking, and feeling guitars. Here's some pics of the two I own...

http://www.lintzland.com/music/Schecter

Randy
Those are some really nice guitars, man. Nice clear pictures, too. The grain on the second one is awesome. Is that a hipshot or something on there?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:32 AM

OMG, that red S7 is a beauty. Love the natural red stained body with the white pickups. Gorgeous!
Gary - The.Godfather

Tags
custom shop , koa body , korean guitar , maple neck , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode