Are they worth the price? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Are they worth the price?

After about 20 years of not playing, I want to get back into it. I got rid of all my guitars except for an old kramer that I put a Warmoth neck and EMG pickups on. I've been looking online at various guitars and really have a hard time understanding how some are worth the 2500-3k price tag. I wouldn't be spending that kind of money but I know that I can build a custom Warmoth with Original Floyd and quality parts for about 1200. I could also get a Carvin made to my specs for about 1200. Being out of it so long there is a lot I'm not up to speed on but I built a custom Warmoth about 20 years ago and would have put it up against any other guitar as far as fit/finish/quality go. Man....I miss that axe I had MV Padulla put it together for me.

So I need a little education here. Are they really worth the extra 1500-2000 based on what I know I can build or get otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Re: Are they worth the price?

It would probably depend on what guitars you are talking about some high end stuff is worth the money but most isn't. The custom Carvins stack up well against just about anything!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM

You're right. I look at some too and question the price. The Caparison's look sweet though and appear well made. Haven't had the luxury to try one yet though. If the higher end guitars are made over seas then they shouldn't be so pricey. I held an Eric Johnson strat in my local music store, then looked at the price tag. I didn't bother plugging it in. What a rip off, I thought.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sure there are other opinions on this but the more I think about it you can break it down to, wood, hardware, finish, and build. So I guess each person needs to decide how much Ibanez or Washburn's wood is worth and how much we want to spend to have them bolt it together

Kind of a joke but I guess that's what it comes down to. But hey...people can spend whatever they want. More power to 'em.

JN
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
. . . But hey...people can spend whatever they want. More power to 'em.

JN
It would be boring if we all wanted the same guitar, eh?

Of course, it's impossible to answer your question, "are they worth it?", for anybody besides yourself. If you know exactly what you want in a guitar and you can build a Warmoth or spec a Carvin then you are good to go.

Just a couple of points in response to some others in the thread:

1) There's a bit more to it than getting some wood and bolting it together. This "bit more" often adds value for many buyers, for whom they are worth the price.

2) The Eric Johnson Strat is a tone machine. Sure it costs more, but it sounds good. Might be more than you (or I, for that matter) want to pay but it's not a rip-off.

3) You will never get adequate re-sale value for your custom Warmoth or Carvin so you better be pretty sure you're gonna like it for years to come. It's possible to get a decent re-sale on a Carvin if you choose popular options. If you choose something like a reverse purple burst you're gonna have a hard time finding a buyer no matter how good the guitar is.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM

Reviews: 34

If you want value for money I would be looking at the new Charvels. When compared to a mid range RG they look cheap!

There is nothing wrong with a warmoth custom build either.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 3
Cool Re: Are they worth the price?

any guitar that has an artist's name attached to it is a RIPOFF !!! just the extra to cover the endorsement costs overprice these guitars. I just got rid of a Fender j masics jazzmaster...retails for 1200-1500...WHAT ?? this thing was made in japan, terrible fret/neck work, no case, basic hardware, crap-ola p/ups...my beginner heit axe from 1975 was better than this. Even our beloved Ibby's that bear "names" are surely overpriced...play a bunch of axes, from 500.00-1500.00 then you decide.
Rock on !!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:43 PM

I've been edging up into the higher-end stuff over the course of buying and selling guitars the past couple years. Right now my main axe is an ESP M-III deluxe which I'm pretty impressed with. My next planned guitar buy will be a Jem---either a 7DBK or a 777DY, used of course.

Therein lies the trick, especially if you have a limited budget: BUY USED. New JEM 7VWHs go for $2400 while you can score a nice used one---either here, the bay or Guitar Center---for a grand less.

My ESP was over a grand new. I paid $600, and it is in very clean condition.

Tags
high priced guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode