Thicker necks / neck joints = thicker tone? WTF? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Thicker necks / neck joints = thicker tone? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12 View Post
Thats when you go get yourself a carvin guitar. those things have awesome tone!!!
Now you've said it all!!!
Carvin guitars are 10 out of 10 in playability. I'd say RGs and Ss are 9,5 out of 10.
Tonewise, Carvin would be 9,5 out of 10 and RGs and Ss would be between 8 and 9 out of 10.

I wish I had one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:03 PM

I watched the PG Iceman video yesterday & I would tend to agree. I'm more comfortable with the AANJ but I dont see myself getting rid of the square heels any time soon.

I spent a few hours with some of these last night:

All but one of these are AANJ, but I do also have another 89' 570 & a 90' 550 square heel I pulled out for the sake of comparison. I spent a couple hours playing & switching guitars every 5-15 minutes or so. (the 7 strings excluded) Basically two 00' AANJ RG 570's, two square 89' 570's a 90' square 550. 98 520QS & 98 3120

The three with the square heel did all seem to have something in common with themselves but not the AANJ's .... hard to describe.. I don't know I'd say "more" or "better" tone but definately different.

The exception were the two Mahogany RG's (520QS & 3120) both of those also have something unique when comparing to the non-mahogany RGs... which is to be expected I guess

"More" or "better" I would classify as personal opinions but I think
"different" could be considered fact. ....... IMO of course ......
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
So if I'm in the market for a second guitar I should try finding something with at least a block joint (hahaha that sounds like something you could smoke... blunt ... That's good to know, thanks guys.

Does a thicker neck / joint add sustain, too? Or is that more dependent on the body?
Well, more mass = more vibrational mass, so I could see it being a slight sustain boost. I also suspect this is part of the reason why sustain from frets 22-24 on an old school neck joint is so bad - that there's just nothing vibrating under the fretboard for those frets.

As a seven string nut, I'll of course take this opportunity to point out that the wider neck of a seven has significantly more vibrational mass than the narrower neck of a six...
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post

A: I also suspect this is part of the reason why sustain from frets 22-24 on an old school neck joint is so bad - that there's just nothing vibrating under the fretboard for those frets.

B: I'll of course take this opportunity to point out that the wider neck of a seven has significantly more vibrational mass than the narrower neck of a six...
A: VERY good observation!!

B: Another good point there. I use my 7's fairly often but almost never use the low string... I just like the beefy sound I get with them.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM

540s, you need more RG's!
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM

I noticed this before. Guitars with thicker necks have a slightly mellower, darker sound. Guitars with thinner necks have a slightly more treble-y sound. You can hear it when you play similar electric guitars acoustically and compare them. I still prefer the thinner necks for playing.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah 540s, that's a ****ing sweet collection you have there... Makes me wonder why I ever wanted a non-Strat body type...
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
What is he trying to say, that Ibanez should start fretting baseball bats like those guys over at Gibson in order to get thicker tones out of their guitars?
Quote:
So if I'm in the market for a second guitar I should try finding something with at least a block joint
He doesn't say ibanez should do anything. He also doesn't say that you have to get a block joint next time. He's just stating that more wood mass brings him closer to the sound he wants.

I don't know what sound you are looking for, and you don't seem to know it either. But if you really want a "tone monster", your top priority should be getting a fixed bridge. Compared to that, the neck joint impact on tone will be minor.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Very good, thanks for clearing that up
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM

square joints are nice, but still prefer AANJ. It is going to be saturated in distortion anyway...
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM

If you want a great combination of tone and playability, then get a tremol-no on a AANJ and you will have more sustain.

In my case I have a '98 rg 570, I used some mahogany to block the trem (original edge) altogether. Essentially this makes it a stop tail, but the tone was so drastically improved, i have no regrets.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 AM

i love my rg550, but the tone on my painted neck, neck through, string through jackson v is just quality...makes the 550 sound like ass breath.

but if you want that rg tone to sustain longer? clamp a heavy wrench on the headstock. just put a cloth over the headstock first so you don't scratch up all of your paint
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 AM

I had a buddy block his trem with soe bowling ball material, ya it was pretty heavy but it sustained for ever, that combined with a custom graphite nut ( he hated locking nuts , no clue why ) and a good set of locking tuners and he was set.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
540s, you need more RG's!
I'm working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by varador View Post
Yeah 540s, that's a ****ing sweet collection you have there...
Thanks! The RG's were purely accidental. I picked up the blue 7620 while waiting around a guitar store to buy a S2120x & in about 10 seconds decided it killed my S7420's & fell in love.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

**** Ibanez RG's and their bolt-ons, I'm getting me a B.C. Rich maple neck- through, OFR, mahogany, 24 frets, ebony fretboard guitar for 600 Euros

Tags
amp settings , carvin guitars , combo amp , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , fixed bridge , fret access , graphite nut , guitar mag , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , les paul , les pauls , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , maple neck , neck joint , neck joints , neck thru , paul gilbert , reverse icemans , strat body , string nut , thicker necks , tone monster , trem block , trem guitar , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode